Chapter 29

While Team Ten took Dansue into custody, Team Eight was trying to apprehend her hidden back-up. Smoke bombs kept firing in the branches in a set manner showing this getaway had been set up before they started. Kiba was thinking about what tricks this guy might have up his sleeves and Hinata's mind was preoccupied with worry for Akane. Shino meanwhile focused on the situation and didn't like the look of all this.

'Hmm... if whoever is doing this went to the trouble to lay traps behind them preemptively, then they must have known they would be forced to leave the village. And that girl back there in the striped dress didn't look to me like she was trying to accomplish anything other than incapacitate whoever tried to fight her. And if Sasuke Uchiha is trying to lead the others away, he must be planning something away from any possible backup Konoha can offer. Something just doesn't feel right about all this.'

Not one of the tracker ninjas had seen their target yet but could hear his position. Hinata just now thought about activating her byakugan, and saw that her team was tailing a bird with some thin strip of cloth tied on both leg. And apparently some sets of rattling sticks were tied together with a long wire that made one make noise after another in a domino style, creating the illusion that someone was running in the trees. Thus effectively tricking their ears along with Kiba's and Akamaru's noses. Scanning with her eyes, she saw the only other person in the area was a small boy who was hiding on the ground and giving nasty looks in Team Ten's direction, not that far from them.

"Turn around. We're after the wrong target." Hinata told her teammates as she stopped and pivoted. Soon they followed.

If Ichinoshikyo was going to do anything to those that captured Dansue, he didn't get the chance to before Team Eight showed up in front of him. A basic stand-off happened between them at that moment. All of the Konoha ninja didn't bother getting into defensive positions, since he was just a child close to Akane's age. Shino however was wary and kept his insects on his skin just in case. Hinata was about to deactivate her byakugan when it caught several weapons and tools hidden in the underside of his jacket and pants pockets, so she kept it up and her arms ready to block. Akamaru and Kiba just growled and tried to look tough, hoping to scare him off so they wouldn't have to fight a child.

Ichi meanwhile barely moved a muscle. His eyeglasses fell into place, making him look somewhat like Shino in a way. He was hunched over like Shikamaru or maybe he was going to pounce, but his left shoulder pointed towards them so he didn't look like he was going to attack. His left hand disappeared into his sleeve while his right hand twirled some hair above his ear. His eyes never left the ninjas in front of him as he tried to figure out how to get rid of them then rescue Dansue.

Ichi decided to go with his best getaway idea and his left hand reappeared with a flare. He lit it, turning his gaze away somewhat to avoid looking at it, and threw it above them all. Each of the tracker ninja involuntarily looked up, but Hinata's eyes allowed her to keep looking at Ichi too. She saw him go thru three hand signs quickly and mumble something. Reading his lips, she thought he said 'Twilight Style: Blindfold Jutsu.' Before she could say anything, she felt a slight chill speed up her body and then her vision darkened a little. She could still see, but now it was darker, which wasn't so good since it was already the beginning of night.

Keeping her kekkei genkai active, Hinata took a look at her teammates. She saw that Kiba, Akamaru, and Shino all had what looked like pitch black raccoon masks around their covered eyes, like Gaara's jinchuuriki markings but much thicker and connected to one another. Akamaru whined while he and Kiba both pawed at their faces, trying to get this obstruction off. Shino was trying to do the same, but in a more calm humane manner. Hinata figured she must have something on her eyes too, but her x-ray eyes allowed her to see thru it.