𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔬

I watched carefully as Tamlin and Lucien drank their wine from golden goblets. Tam didn't like when I drank, so I was sipping on water.

My attention turned when Feyre was brought to the dining room. She looked significantly better, her hair soft and washed, the dirt gone from her skin. She was wearing a tunic and some pants that looked quite good on her.

"Before you ask again: the food is safe for you to eat," Tamlin told her. He pointed to the chair at the other end of the table. She didn't move. "What do you want, then?"

"I told you so, Tamlin," Lucien commented. He flicked a glance toward his friend. "Your skills with females have definitely become rusty in recent decades."

Tamlin glared at him, and Feyre's eyes went wide just slightly enough to show she was unnerved.

"Well," Lucien said. "You don't look half as bad now. A relief, I suppose, since you're to live with us. Though the tunic isn't as pretty as a dress."

"I'd prefer not to wear that dress," she said.

"And why not?" Lucien crooned.

"Because killing us is easier in pants," Tamlin drawled. I paled, staring down at my glass of water.

"Now that Im here, what--what do you plan to do with me?" Feyre asked.

"Just sit down," Tamlin said, clearly irritated.

"We're not going to bite," Lucien joked. She stared at us, but inched to her seat and sat down.

Tamlin rose, stalking around the table—closer and closer, each movement smooth and lethal, a predator blooded with power. He picked up a dish, brought it over to her, and piled some meat and sauce on her plate.

"I can serve myself," she said quietly.

"It's an honor for a human to be served by a High Fae," he said roughly. He sat back down after continuing to serve her. "You look--better than before. And your hair is--clean."

"Youre High Fae—faerie nobility?" she asked.

"You can take that question," Lucien said with a cough.

"Yes," Tamlin said, frowning. "We are."

"What do you plan to do with me now that Im here?"

"Nothing. Do whatever you want."

"So I'm not to be your slave?" she asked.

I tensed, clenching my fists a bit. I'd been born after the war, but Tamlin had spoken of the slaves our father used to keep.

"I dont keep slaves," he told her.

"But what am I to do with my life here?" she pressed. "Do you—do you wish me to earn my keep? To work?"

"What you do with your life isnt my problem," he said. "Dont you have any--interests?"

"No."

"So typically human," Lucien muttered.

"Do whatever you want with your time. Just stay out of trouble."

"So you truly mean for me to stay here forever."

"I didn't make the rules," Tamlin said tersely.

"My family is starving," she said. "Please let me go. There must be—must be some other loophole out of the Treaty's rules—some other way to atone."

"Atone?" Lucien said. "Have you even apologized yet?"

"I'm sorry," she said to Lucien.

"How did you kill him? Was it a bloody fight, or just coldblooded murder?" Lucien asked.