𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔣𝔦𝔳𝔢

I was shivering, my arms wrapped around myself, my fur-lined coat doing nothing against the harsh wind. The snow had fascinated me at first--but now I considered myself lucky that snow never came to the Spring Court. I decided I would be fine living in Velaris. I wasn't sure I ever wanted to visit Illyria again after this. 

     We were gathered in a stone house, one that had no heat. It was no better than being in the snow. I tried to stop my teeth chattering just long enough for me to eat, but I knew I wouldn't be able to keep anything down.

"They pick these locations," Cassian said, the group of us sitting around a table and feasting on mutton. "Just to ensure the strongest among us survive." 

"Horrible people," Mor grumbled. "I don't blame Az for never wanting to come here." 

"I take it training the girls went well," Rhys drawled from beside me, his thigh so close its warmth brushed my own. Part of me wanted to lean into him. But Feyre sat on my other side, our bodies quite close together. 

"I got one of them to confess they hadn't received a lesson in ten days. They'd all been too busy with 'chores,' apparently," Cassian grumbled. 

"No born fighters in this lot?" Rhys asked. 

"Three, actually," Mor said. "Three out of ten isn't bad at all. The others, I'd be happy if they just learned to defend themselves. But those three ... They've got the instinct—the claws. It's their stupid families that want them clipped and breeding." 

"When do you head for the Hewn City tomorrow?" Cassian asked gently. 

"After breakfast. Before. I don't know. Maybe in the afternoon, when they're all just waking up." 

     Rhys and Feyre took that as their cue to get to their feet, leaving their dirty dishes in the sink. I stood, pushing my chair in, and followed them. I hadn't eaten a bite of my food, but nobody called me on it. 

     Feyre gestured to the stairs, and I nodded. We disappeared up the stairs, and I did my best not to eavesdrop on Cassian and Mor's quiet conversation. 

     When we were at the top of the stairs, I glanced around, noticing that there were only two rooms. And it was colder up here than it was downstairs. My Spring Court upbringing had not given me thick enough skin for it.  

"You guys can share a room with Mor tonight—just tell her to shut up if she babbles too much," Rhys joked. 

     I glanced up at him, smiling softly at the words. The violet stardust of his eyes bore into mine, and I had a sudden urge to jump at him, kissing him as sweetly as I had Feyre.

     He opened his mouth to speak, but Feyre had already disappeared into the room, and I decided it was best to go along with her.  

✯¸.'*¨'*✿ ✿*'¨*'.¸✯

     The freezing rain had soaked through my leathers--through the fur lining. I shivered, harsh breaths leaving my lips. Rhys had given me a bow and quiver to defend myself--not that I would know how to use it. 

     Cassian hadn't quite gotten to the weapons part of our training, yet. Feyre taught me how to shoot this morning, but my aim wasn't any good. She assured me that it took practice. 

     Rhys followed a few hundred feet behind us. We'd flown deep into the forest steppes, far enough that we'd have to spend the night out here. But at least we wouldn't have to camp out here. Rhys had promised there was some sort of wayfarer's inn nearby. 

     Feyre's thoughts were loud through our bond, her confliction and irritation swirling into my own mind. As her thoughts pivoted from her training to Rhys--my cheeks heated at the things she was thinking about him.