𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔣𝔬𝔲𝔯

I had to admit that I was nervous about going into Velaris. I hadn't been yet, and I was anxious about all the other Fae there. Would they recognize me? Would they say anything?

I wrapped my coat tighter around me to shield myself from the chill. Musicians played in the squares, and the Palace of Thread and Jewels was packed with shoppers and performers.

I stared at the shoppers and performers in awe, having so rarely been in such a crowded place. They ignored us completely, despite the fact that we had a High Lord with us.

I had never realized how much of life I had missed. Being locked up and isolated, I had never considered an alternative. A life like this.

We finally agreed on a small restaurant beside the river, though it was barely big enough to fit all seven of us, especially with three Illyrians.

The owner seemed to know them, and kissed them each on the cheek, even Rhysand. Feyre and I glanced at each other in surprise. She seemed to be experiencing the same mind numbing awe that I was.

The food was rich, flavorful, and seasoned so well. I savored it, eating slowly so I could make it last as long as possible.

The owner was talking to Rhys about the latest shipment of spices. "The traders were saying the prices might rise, High Lord, especially if rumors about Hybern awakening are correct."

"We'll find a way to keep the prices from skyrocketing," Rhys promised her.

It was so strange to see a High Lord conversing with his subjects, making promises to make their lives easier. Tamlin had never been like that. Never cared about the lives of our subjects.

"Don't trouble yourself, of course," the owner said. "It's just . . . so lovely to have such spices available again--now that . . . that things are better."

"I wouldn't be troubling myself--not when I like your cooking so much," Rhys grinned.

I stared at his smile, at the way it lit up his face and made him look young--young as he'd been when I'd met him. He was beautiful, even I had to admit it.

The owner beamed, flushing, and looked to both Feyre and me. "Is it to your liking?"

"It's wonderful," I said to her, very truthfully.

"I've lived in the mortal realm, and lived in other courts, but I've never had food like this. Food that makes me . . . feel awake," Feyre said.

I felt a tinge of embarrassment from her through the bond, as if she felt stupid for saying that. But I understood exactly what she meant.

"Then I'll bring you a special dessert," she said, and strode into her kitchen.

Amren was pushing the food around, but not actually eating it. The owner placed a goblet in front of her, and her eyes lit up. "You didnt have to do that."

"It's fresh and hot, and we needed the beast for tomorrow's roast, anyway," the owner said to her.

I went pale, my eyes going a bit wide. Amren swirled the goblet, the dark liquid lapping at the sides like wine, then sipped from it. "You spiced it nicely." Blood gleamed on her teeth.

"No one leaves my place hungry," she said before walking away.

When we left, my stomach hurt from how much I had eaten. Mor rubbed her stomach in lazy circles as we paused beside the river.

"I want to go dancing. I won't be able to fall asleep when I'm this full. Rita's is right up the street," Mor said. I groaned, resting my exhausted head on Feyre's shoulder. I just wanted to go to bed.