𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶-𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔢

We fell through the air, the rush of wind stealing my breath so that I couldn't even muster a scream. Suddenly, Rhys's wings unfurled, vast and powerful.

We glided gracefully into a window, landing on the floor of what had to be a war room. Cassian stood at its center, locked in a heated debate with Amren.

Both halted mid-sentence as we touched down on the red floor, their eyes wide in shock. In the mirror on the wall, I saw the reflection of both Feyre and me, and in that brief glance, I understood their astonishment.

Our faces was marred with scratches, streaks of blood mingling with the grime and boiled fat that coated our skin. Mortar dust stuck to us, along with hair that wasn't ours.

"You smell like barbecue," Amren said, cringing a bit.

"You guys kill her?" Cassian asked.

"No," Rhys answered for us. "But given how much the Weaver was screaming, I'm dying to know what the darling girls did."

Feyre vomited all over the floor. I instinctively recoiled, distancing myself from the mess. Cassian swore, while Amren, unfazed, simply gestured with her hand. In an instant, the vomit vanished, taking with it the filth on us.

"She detected us somehow," I explained, slumping against Feyre with exhaustion. "And locked the doors and windows."

"So we had to climb out through the chimney," Feyre added. "I got stuck with Mary beneath me. And when she tried to climb up, we threw bricks at her face."

"And where were you?" Amren demanded, turning to Rhysand.

"I was wondering the same thing," I admitted, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Waiting, far enough away that she couldn't detect me," he answered.

"We could have used some help," Feyre snarled.

"You survived," he said. "And found a way to help yourselves."

"That's what this was also about," Feyre spat. "Not just this stupid ring," She reached into her pocket, slamming the ring down on the table, "or my abilities, but if I can master my panic."

Cassian swore again, his eyes on that ring. Amren shook her head, sheet of dark hair swaying. "Brutal, but effective."

"Now you know. That you can use your abilities to hunt our objects, and thus track the Book at the Summer Court. And you both know you can master your panic."

"You're a prick, Rhysand," Cassian said quietly.

"You'd do the same."

Feyre brushed her hair away from her face, sitting up a bit while still letting me lean on her. She turned her focus to Cassian.

"We want you to teach us how to fight," Feyre said. "To get strong. If the offer to train still stands."

Feyre and I had been discussing it recently. We were both interested, though we weren't sure we were ready. But after that, I realized I didn't ever want to be defenseless again. I knew she felt the same.

"You'll be calling me a prick pretty damn fast if we train. And I dont know anything about training humans--how breakable your bodies are. Were, I mean," he added with a wince. "We'll figure it out."

"We don't want our only option to be running," I explained. I always knew how Feyre felt about things. I figured it was a part of the bargain connection that we had.

"Running," Amren cut in, "kept you alive today."

"We want to know how to fight our way out," Feyre said. "We don't want to have to wait on anyone to rescue us." She faced Rhys, crossing her arms. "Well? Have I proved myself?"