Party

Vince, of course, was ecstatic with the news.  And, being the person he was, had already received invitations to several parties and major events.

“This is brilliant!” he exclaimed, several times, as he went through his wardrobe searching for his ‘new look’. Howard wasn’t quite sure what was wrong with his old one, but Vince had insisted that he was a trendsetter, and needed to make sure his reputation was cemented by making it appear as if he had spent his time indoors refining his skill, instead of just cuddled up to his best mate the whole time.

Howard waited patiently on the bed, watching Vince throw yet another jacket to the ground. In fact, the floor was littered in clothes that were considered ‘not-good-enough’ for Vince’s new style. His new one. Like all the other ones weren’t enough.

This was definitely horrible. In all the time they had spent together over the ‘horrible period of time that was now thankfully over so they could all get on with their lives’ (according to Vince), Howard had never had to endure the whole catwalk thing that was going on now. Except, to have a catwalk, Vince’d actually have to try something on, wouldn’t he? Instead of just picking it up, looking at it, then throwing it all on the floor like he was doing now. Howard resisted the urge to pick up all the clothes and order in it some semblance of order – but he was afraid to draw attention to himself, to remind Vince that it was over now.

The sunshine kid was dancing all over the place like it was his birthday. Once again, his inability to foresee the upcoming events was allowing Vince to have the time of his life, while Howard sat there and struggled to come to terms with the inevitable.

Finally Vince picked an outfit, ran to the bathroom, changed into it, came out and wondered aloud if he had put on weight, and then turned to Howard.

“You’re not wearing that, are you?” Vince complained, but was too happy to stay annoyed for long. “Oh, whatever, all eyes will be on me anyway. I’ll let you get away with this just this once. Come on then, we’re going to be late.”

Howard looked up at Vince, halfway out the door. “Actually…Vince…I’m not going.”

Vince frowned, taking a step back into the room. “You what?”

“I…” Howard took in a deep breath and let it out. “I’m not going to your party, Vince.”

“What…?” Vince asked, a frown clouding his face as he tried to work out what was going on. “But, it’s a party, and I know you don’t like the host but come on Howard, you don’t have to stay long or talk to anyone or anything, you can just sit there in the corner and sulk or whatever but-”

“Vince!” Howard interjected. “This isn’t about the party.”

“Then what then?”

One last deep breath. “This is about us Vince. This is it. We’re over.”