She Felt Like the Moon

"she could not make sense of the things that were meant for her, but she was drawn toit all. and when she was alone, she felt like the moon: terrified of the sky, but completely in love with the way it held the stars" - r.m. drake

-----

Becky dropped Freen off at her doorstep at midnight, much later than either woman intended, but they couldn’t be blamed.

It was incredibly easy to get lost in each other’s company.

With a gentle kiss and a promise to see her at Nita's practice the next day, Becky went back to her brother’s truck and Freen entered her home.

The foster mom did her best to creep upstairs as quietly as possible, knowing very well both girls would be asleep by now.

To her pleasant surprise, Freen found Engfa sitting up in her bed with the book that Freen had on her nightstand.

“How many times have I told you not to break curfew?” Engfa teased, shutting the book and tossing it back onto the nightstand. “How was the date?”

“Amazing,” Freen sighed, flopping onto the bed next to her friend and smiling giddily.

“Holy shit, I know that face! That’s your ‘I’ve been kissed’ face,” Engfa accused, sitting up with excitement.

“I think I found the most incredible woman in the world, Fa. She’s… she’s everything good about this world.”

“My god, you’re hooked,” Engfa said. “And wet?”

Freen furrowed her eyebrows before remembering her still slightly dampened hair.

“We went cliff jumping,” Freen said, shrugging about it casually despite how giddy it made her feel.

“You went cliff jumping?” Engfa asked, not believing a word out of her friend’s mouth.

“It wasn’t intentional. We were talking and then I told her about dad and I guess I decided that I wanted to jump into the ocean to spite Mae.”

“Why can’t you just go on a normal date like a normal person?” Engfa asked as she pinched the bridge of her nose. “Like really, you just have to let your chaotic energy shine through?”

“Totally worth it,” Freen said smugly, deciding that now would be a good time to change out ofher clothes and into some pyjamas.

“How were the girls?” Freen changed subjects as she unclipped her bra and threw on a new shirt.

“Good. Nita blew a fuse when Emily started asking me question at dinner but I got it under control,” Engfa explained, already moving to slide under the covers of the bed.

“And by under control you mean…”

“I convinced Nita to not drag Emily to their room.”

Freen nodded her head and went into the attached bathroom to wash her face.

“Sorry about that. She can be pretty intense when it comes to parenting Emily,” Freen explained as she lathered face wash onto her cheeks.

“No kidding. But I avoided being on the tail end of any hurtful comments, so 1 point to P'Fa.”

Freen laughed and finished up in the washroom before joining Engfa in bed and shutting off the light.

“I should warn you though, I sort of convinced Emily to tell me some of the things that Nita refuses to tell people.”

“Excuse me?” Freen asked, sitting up in bed and looking to Engfa with both shock and curiosity written all over her face.

“She said some passing comment about how Nita doesn’t like to eat homemade food, and I decided to roll with it and find out any other useful information.”