Poor Judgement

"good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well that comes from poor judgment," - a.a milne

Freen had just finished wrapping up two paintings for Taran and receiving the payment when her personal phone rang.

She glanced at the caller ID and frowned when she read Nita's name. The girl rarely called her unless she really needed to.

“Sorry, could you give me a moment?” Freen asked, making both Becky and Taran nod.

“We’ll get out of your hair,” Taran said, grabbing one painting while Becky took the other. “Thanks again, Freen!”

Freen waved off her client before answering her phone,

“Nita, is everything alright?”

“I need you to get me,” Nita said, no indication of trouble or fear in her tone.

“From where? Is Emily with you?” Freen questioned in a slight frenzy, remembering that the two girls were supposed to walk home together.

“She’s at home. I’m at the mall. The security won’t let me leave until they talk to you.”

“Excuse me?” Freen asked, taking in the rush of information.

“I got caught stealing. Can you just come and get me?”

“Damn it, Pranita,” Freen said under her breath, rubbing her forehead and closing her eyes momentarily. “You have to wait there until I can get Emily. She’s six if you forgot, and legally can’t stay home alone,” Freen said bitterly, trying to convey how angry she was through her words.

“Sure, fine, just get here. They’re taking my phone away so I can’t call you again.”

“Fine,” Freen said, not in the mood to verbally admonish the teen over the phone.

“Wait, you aren’t going to tell P'Beer, right?”

“Well, I’m legally obligated as your foster parent to inform your social worker about this stuff so, yes, Nita, I’ll be telling P'Beer. I’ll be there in twenty minutes,” Freen said, ending the conversation there.

She hung up and slipped her phone into her pocket before moving to grab the rest of her things.

She locked up her studio as quickly as possible, deciding to return the next day to re-organize and clean up.

For now, she was a mom on a mission.

-----

Becky shut the trunk of Taran's car and dusted her hands over her jeans before looking to her almost twin sister who was giving her a stupid grin.

“What?” Becky asked, already moving to her side of the car while Taran continued her creepy starring.

“Jesus, Tar, stop looking at me like that,” Becky ducked into her seat and puffed out an annoyed breath before Taran also plopped herself into the car and shut her door, the stare once more returning.

“You like her,” Taran hummed happily, making Becky roll her eyes.

“She’s the foster parent of one of my students.”

“But you like her,” Taran insisted, grabbing Becky's arm and shaking it excitedly.

Becky shook her head and pried her arm free from Taran's grasp.

“She’s very pretty, and makes for entertaining conversation, but I can’t do it. I can’t put myself through that again,” Becky mumbled the last part, looking to her lap in hopes of dropping the conversation.