Fall Apart Into Dust

"the universe had to fall apart into dust first to become its majestic, incredible, infiniteself. what makes you think this breaking, this trauma, this destruction, won't be the making of a more powerful you too?" - nikita gill

-----

A few days after the girls’ visitation with their mother, Becky decided that Freen needed a date night to ease some of her stress.

She planned to take her girlfriend back to the cliff where they had their second date and already arranged to take Richie's truck once more so they could watch the sunset out of the back of it again.

When the date was revealed to Freen, she gratefully accepted it and enthused to Becky how much they needed a few hours to themselves.

She stopped short, however, when she realized that Nita was in no state to watch Emily alone.

Nita was back to her reactive aggression, and it was clearly being aimed at Emily as well since the little one was very adamant about her distaste over seeing their mother.

Still aiming to get a date night in, Freen began to call their friends and family in hopes of getting someone to watch Emily (and subsequently Nita) for a couple of hours.

They worked their way down the list from most reliable to last resort until they ended up with Nune and Pete.

For all intents and purposes, Nune and Pete were great with Emily and would be higher on the call list, however, Nita made it clear that she had an unexplained fear towards them, which is what made them the last resort.

Freen made the call nonetheless and was grateful when her Mae and Pete agreed to watch the girls that night. All they asked was that Becky and Freen drop the girls off at their house since Pete installed a new 75-inch TV and wanted to have a movie night with them.

It was all set up, and Emily was excited to hear about the big TV, the only task left was getting Nita to go over as well.

“My Mae and Pete want to have you girls over for a movie night,” Freen explained to Nita who was sat in the living room. “I know you sometimes get-,”

“It’s fine. I’ll go,” Nita said, not even bothering to argue with Freen.

In some weird turn of events, Nita was suddenly giving in without a fight. Freen wasn’t sure if that should worry her more or ease some of her concerns.

“Really? Okay ka, good. They’ll be happy to hear that,” Freen said, smiling weakly at the teen.

“ Becky and I will only be gone for a few hours-,”

“You’re not going to be there?” Nita asked, a quick look of fear flashing over her face before a scowl set over it.

“No. Is that okay? You can tell me if there’s something wrong-,”

“It’s fine. I don’t care,” Nita cut Freen off once more, making the foster mom frown.

“You know if you need anything you can call me or Becky and we’ll come right back for you,” Freen promised, making the teen scoff.

“Whatever,” Nita mumbled, a clear sign that she was ignoring what Freen had to say.

It hurt, but Freen decided to not fight this battle and leave the teen alone.

“We’re leaving at 5,” Freen said as she stood up and moved to find Becky and Emily.

When Freen was gone, Nita allowed her clenched fists to release slightly, revealing to herself just how shaky they’d become.