To Build a Home

there is a house built out of stone
wooden floors, walls and window sills
tables and chairs worn by all of the dust
this is a place where i don't feel alone
this is a place where i feel at home
'cause, i built a home
for you
for me

-to build a home by cinematic orchestra

-----

Nita was nervous. It had been 4 months since she’d last stepped on the ice, and despite getting the all clear, the teen was still worried that she wasn’t ready yet.

Her ribs, despite still having plates for another nine months, were fully healed and able to handle the physical pressure that came with the sport. But Nita would be lying if she said she wasn’t scared.

Her aggression, the thing that protected her from other players and from getting hurt, just wasn’t there anymore. She wasn’t angry at the world, which means she couldn’t be angry on the ice.

Without her aggression, Nita felt vulnerable, but she had little time to dwell on this concern as Charlotte was beckoning her onto the ice.

This was a private practice, an opportunity for Nita to get the feel for the sport again before introducing the team elements. She would just do a few drills and re-acquaint herself with her stick and her puck.

But Nita couldn’t help but hesitate before she let her first skate touch the ice.

“I can’t do it,” Nita blurted out as she hovered by the baseboard and looked at her coach who was in the middle of the rink.

“Yes, you can,” Charlotte said, only to receive a shake of Nita's head in the negative.

“I won’t be the same.”

Charlotte briefly glanced at Becky who was seated on the benches before deciding to include her sister in her next point.

“ Becbec, when was the last time you played hockey?” Charlotte called out.

“Like two years ago? A bit longer maybe,” Becky answered as she approached the player's box to better converse with her sister and kid. “Why?”

“Take my skates,” Charlotte instructed as she skated to the player’s box and entered it.

Nita, who made room for her to enter, stared at her coach in confusion as the woman sat on the bench and began to undo the laces of her skates.

“But you’re the coach,” Becky said despite kicking off her shoes and sitting next to Charlotte.

“Yes, and you’re her mother. Nita, if your mom can go back onto the ice after not playing for two years, you can go back out there after four months,” Charlotte encouraged as she kicked off her final skate and handed it off to Becky.

Charlotte slipped on her sister’s shoes before approaching Nita who still stood nervously by the edge of the ice.

“I know you’re worried that you won’t be as good, but I promise you it’s nothing we can’t work with. Sure, you’ll be a little bit rusty, but that’s what today is for. We’re here to work out your muscles and get re-acquainted with the ice, okay?”

Nita hesitated before nodding. She glanced behind Becky to see her mommy lace up her last skate before she stood up and approached the two of them.

“Alright, honey bee. Ready to get out there?” Becky asked as she wobbled a bit on her skates before coming up to the edge of the ice.