Chapter 3. 1815

Cassandra smiled and dropped into a curtsy . "It's a pleasure to meet you your Grace. You have a very lovely ballroom."
Anthony gave her a sweeping bow before taking her hand and brushing his lips against her knuckles. "Likewise Miss Grafton. And thank you, I pride myself on having the finest ballroom London has ever seen. However, the beauty of this ballroom pails in comparison to the beauty I see before me."
Cassandra became bright pink. "Thank you very much."
Genevieve smiled before turning and leaving the two of them alone.
Anthony and Cassandra gazed at each other, feeling sizzling waves of electricity flowing between them. Glancing down, they noticed that their fingers were still intertwined. Glancing back up, they saw their eyes change color from vibrant shades of green and blue to dark emerald and sapphire. It was very clear what was happening, they could both feel it. The silver flame, the bond between two phoenixes, had been awakened.
***
Anthony couldn't breathe. Cassandra Grafton was absolutely magnificent. No, ravishing. Platinum blonde curls fixed into a lovely chignon. The most exquisite vibrant blue eyes that seemed to twinkle like gemstones. Delicious and succulent curves outlined perfectly in a cream silk gown with off the shoulder sleeves and a sweetheart neckline. The bodice had silver pink and gold gemstones.
Cassandra squeezed his fingers softly. "Are you well your grace?"
Anthony cleared his throat, blinking. "Yes, I am perfectly well. It's just... I believe the silver flame has awakened for us."
Cassandra. "It has. Which means that you and I are..."
Anthony nodded, smiling softly. "Yes, we are intended."
Cassandra smiled. "How old are you your Grace?"
Anthony. "I am 25. And you?"
Cassandra. "I am 19."
Anthony caressed her cheek, his eyes fixed with hers. "I've been waiting a century for you."
Cassandra smiled. "I have been waiting a century for you."
Anthony looped her hand through his arm as they walked out onto the courtyard. "May I ask how many times you have been reborn?"
Cassandra. "I have been reborn twice. Both instances were when I rose from the ashes. I discovered my abilities as a child. I am 200 years old."
Anthony. "You are quite young. I am a bit older than you when it comes to the age of a phoenix."
Cassandra. "How many times have you been reborn?"
Anthony. "I have been reborn four times, making me 400 years old. I rose from the ashes each time. Like you, I discovered my abilities as a child."
Cassandra nodded. "I see. It seems we have been dealt the same hand when it comes to the ways in which of Phoenix is reborn."
Anthony. "It seems so."
They exchanged a sweet smile before stepping into the gardens of York Park. Roses surrounded them everywhere they walked. Dark red roses, gold roses. Silver and pink roses. Cream roses. Each blossom had petals shimmering with tiny iridescent flames.
Cassandra. "This is beautiful, from what I can see."
Anthony paused, turning to look at her. "What do you mean?"
Cassandra took a breath. She had no idea how she was going to tell her intended that she couldn't see well. She swallowed nervously. "I have a stigmatism."
Anthony nodded. "A stigmatism?"
Cassandra. "Yes, I've had it all my life. I can't see things clearly. Everything from objects to people is distorted and blurry."
Anthony squeezed her hand. "Do I look distorted and blurry?"
Cassandra took a step back, examining the Duke before her. She giggled. "Sadly yes, you do. But I can make out that you have red hair and green eyes. You just appear a bit bigger than you actually are."
Anthony chuckled. "I'm glad you can see me somewhat easily."
Cassandra giggled. "I am as well. I just hope that I am not going to be a burden to you because of this."
Anthony took her hands into his. "No, absolutely not. Because you are my intended, and I am yours, I promise to take care of you and make sure that you are all right. I will be your eyes. I will be with you every step of this beautiful journey that we take together. I promise to help you, guide to you wherever you need to go."
Tears flowed down Cassandra's cheeks, her heart swelling with so many emotions. She barely knew this gentleman standing before her, but yet felt so close to him all at once. Without even thinking, she buried her face against Anthony's chest, her body trembling with tears. She felt his arms slide around her, pulling her against him.
Anthony held her tightly, running his hand up and down her back with gentle circles. "I promise you, you are safe with me."
Cassandra sniffled, raising her eyes to his. "No one aside from my mother and father have cared for me. I've never felt safe with the Musgraves."
Anthony caressed her cheek. "Who are the Musgraves?"
Cassandra. "They are the human family that I have resided with for the last 13 years. They were nothing but cruel."
Anthony held her tightly. "Well, you won't have to see them any longer. You are here now, among your kind. And speaking of your parentage, what did you say your last name was?"
Cassandra. "Grafton your Grace. Why?"
Anthony's eyes seemed to sparkle. "I know a very kind and honorable gentleman by the name of George Grafton. He's a dear friend of mine."
Cassandra blinked, confused. "George Grafton?"
Anthony nodded. "Yes, Viscount George Grafton. He is the son of Nicholas and Elizabeth Grafton."
Cassandra gasped, the pieces falling perfectly into place. Her face drained of color. "My God."
Anthony. "What is it?"
Cassandra took a breath. "Viscount George Grafton is my brother."