Chapter 15. 1815 

Anthony took her hand, bringing it to his chest. "My love don't. Between the silver and the gemstones, you can get hurt."
Cecily blinked, her eyes going back-and-forth from Anthony to the necklace. She shook her head. She wasn't going to be an idiot. Picking up the lid of the box, she placed it over the necklace. "Who do you think gave this to me?"
Anthony scratched his head. "I'm not sure my darling, but I will find out. No one is going to hurt you, that I can promise you. For now, let's go and enjoy our engagement ball."
Cecily smiled, relaxing. "I agree."
Exchanging a sweet kiss, their fingers intertwined as they walked out of the bedroom and downstairs toward the ballroom. They had no idea who brought Cecily the deadly necklace. Nor did they have any idea what intentions were behind the gift. Little did they realize that the person responsible would soon be in their presence.
***
Three hours into the ball, after a delicious five course dinner and several dances, Anthony and Cecily decided to step outside to the courtyard for some fresh air. Moving toward the railing overlooking the York Park Gardens, they stood side-by-side and gazed up into the sky. The moon and stars glittered brilliantly.
Anthony turned and smiled at her, bringing her lips to his for a soft kiss. "Did I mention how much I love you?"
Cecily giggled, returning his kiss. "You have mentioned it several times my love, but I don't mind hearing it. Because I love you too."
Anthony held her close. "Do you have an idea for your wedding gown?"
Cecily put her head against his chest. "My mother Olivia and I are going shopping for it tomorrow. We are planning on going to Bond Street."
Anthony nodded, kissing her forehead. "That sounds like it will be a lovely day. Genevieve isn't going with you?"
Cecily smiled. "George and Genevieve are going for a carriage ride at Hyde Park."
Anthony chuckled. "Do I need to be there chaperoned?"
Cecily giggled. "No, I don't believe you do. Genevieve told me that her lady in waiting, Margaret, is going with them."
Anthony. "Good. However, I know your brother very well, and he is quite the gentleman."
Cecily. "He certainly is."
Their lips came together for another sweet kiss just as someone cleared their throat behind them. Turning their heads, they noticed Vivian standing a few feet away, having emerged from the ballroom. Her body was exposed in a deep purple silk gown with off the shoulder sleeves and a low cut sweetheart neckline.
Anthony glared at his cousin. "What are you doing here?"
Vivian rolled her eyes. "Is it not obvious cousin? Richard and I came to offer our congratulations to you and Cecily."
Cecily crossed her arms, glaring at her. "And where is Richard?"
Vivian. "He is very much engaged with a young lady at the moment." Her eyes narrowed as she saw the necklace around Cecily's neck. "Oh, I see that you are not wearing the gift we sent you."
Anthony growled. "So it was you and Richard who gave Cecily the deadly necklace."
Vivian stared at him. "Deadly? What on earth are you talking about cousin? That necklace is harmless."
Anthony stepped forward. "On the contrary Vivian, that necklace is deadly. It's composed of silver and black and red diamonds that have dark magic. What the bloody hell were you thinking? You know those two elements can injure a phoenix."
Vivian looked at him with innocence. "Really? I had no idea."
Cecily. "I suggest you don't play dumb with your cousin Vivian. You know very well those two elements are deadly."
Vivian glanced at her, crossing her arms over her chest. "Is that why you chose not to wear the necklace?"
Cecily. "Exactly. I am not an idiot you know."
Anthony. "I suggest you and Richard leave this very minute Vivian."
Vivian. "But cousin, we have just barely arrived and are having a wonderful time."
Anthony glared at her. "Get out of my sight. Now."
Growling, Vivian turned and stormed into the ballroom. Finding her brother, she yanked him away from a lovely young strawberry blonde, pulling him toward the front door of the house. "We are leaving Richard."
Richard stared at her. "What happened?"
Vivian. "Anthony and Cecily discovered that we gave them the necklace."
Richard. "Of course they did. What are we to do now? I don't believe we are going to be invited to the wedding."
Vivian climbed into the carriage that was waiting for them. "No, we certainly are not. But, I do believe we can plot our next plan of attack."
Richard took his seat across from his sister. "And what plan of attack is that?"
Vivian's eyes started sparkling. "Food poisoning."
Richard stared at her, confused. "How do you propose we do that?"
Vivian smiled deviously. "Raw oysters."
Richard. "And where are we supposed to get raw oysters?"
Vivian rolled her eyes. "We aren't going to get them my dear brother. I saw that there are several half shell oysters ready to be served for the dinner on the night of the wedding."
Richard's eyes became bright. "Do you mean to say that Cecily is going to become ill on the evening of her wedding?"
Vivian smiled wickedly. "That's exactly what I mean my dear brother."
Richard. "You are very evil my dear sister."
Vivian giggled. "Why thank you."
They exchanged a devious smile, their plan of attack falling perfectly into place. They knew that, once Cecily became ill during her wedding dinner, the remainder of the celebration, along with her wedding night, would be ruined.