Chapter 8. 1815 

Rebecca. "You look lovely Miss Grafton."
Cecily smiled at her best friend and lady and waiting. She felt beautiful. It was the evening of her dinner with Anthony and his family. Her gown was a magnificent teal silk gown with off the shoulder sleeves and a sweetheart neckline. Blue and silver gemstones glittered along the bodice. The back of the gown was composed of a corset. Her hair was fixed into a braided bun.
Rebecca smiled softly. "Do you need anything else from me before you leave?"
Cecily shook her head, smiling as Elizabeth walked into the room. "No thank you Rebecca."
Rebecca smiled before turning and leaving the room.
Elizabeth. "You look beautiful Cecily."
Cecily. "Thank you mama. I am hoping Anthony likes it."
George poked his head into the room. "I know Stratford is going to love it. He is mad about you. You are his intended after all."
Cecily giggled at her older brother. "You are such a tease George. I'm so glad you decided to come with us this evening. I believe you are going to have a grand time."
George smiled softly. "I hope so."
Elizabeth. "All right, shall we get going? I believe the carriage is waiting for us."
Sliding on a pair of cream silk gloves, and then her ring, Cecily turned and stepped out of her bedroom with her mother and brother. The moment was upon her, the moment that she was going to be with Anthony and meet his mother for the first time.
Climbing into the carriage, George Elizabeth and Cecily settled back against the tufted seat as the vehicle began to drive down the cobblestone streets toward York Park. Glancing out the window, they watched as several people moved about the streets, enjoying what was left of the daylight. They knew their evening was going to be filled with laughter and merriment.
Arriving to York Park 10 minutes later, the trio stepped out of the carriage and walked up the three stone steps leading into the house. Once the door opened, they were escorted into the dining room by the Butler. They were announced to the family waiting for them.
Cecily felt her heart squeeze with excitement as Anthony step forward. Raising her right hand, she placed it into his, watching as he brought her knuckles to his lips for a soft kiss. The movement seemed very blurry and distorting to her, but beautiful nonetheless.
Anthony smiled. "You look beautiful my love."
Cecily smiled. "Thank you my dear, and you look very handsome."
Anthony turned his attention to the lovely woman standing behind him. "Cecily, I would like you to meet my mother, Lady Olivia Stratford, the dowager Duchess of York. Mother, I would like you to meet my intended, Miss Cecily Grafton."
Cecily smiled and dropped into a curtsy. "It's a pleasure to meet you your Grace. Thank you for having us this evening."
Olivia returned her smile, her green eyes soft and gentle. "It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Grafton. I am so glad that you and Anthony are intended. Oh, and who is the handsome gentleman with you?"
Cecily. "My older brother, Viscount George Grafton your Grace."
Olivia. "Welcome to all of you. Please, have a seat. Dinner is about to be served."
As everyone walked into the dining room, Cecily and Anthony exchanged a smile as they noticed George and Genevieve falling into a very pleasant conversation. It seemed their siblings had caught each other's eyes. They weren't sure if Sparks would fly, but they would keep an eye on them.
Once everyone was seated, glasses of red and white wine were served. Bowls of cream and mushroom soup were placed in front of each person, along with a piece of bread. Aside from the soup, there was a main course of salmon and pheasant, and a plethora of cakes for dessert.
As everyone enjoyed their dinner, pleasant conversation swirled throughout the room. Olivia and Elizabeth were both pleased that Anthony and Cecily had found one another. They nudged George and Genevieve closer together, and were thrilled when they saw them continue to talk.
Shortly after the dessert finished 45 minutes later, everyone turned their attention to the Butler, Watson, as he stood in the doorway. They noticed that his expression was grim and not pleased. What had happened?
Anthony stood up. "Watson, is everything all right?"
Watson shook his head. "Not quite your grace. I'm afraid you have some unexpected and uninvited guests."
Anthony felt his stomach drop. He knew exactly who Watson was talking about. He clenched his fists. "Do not tell me Watson. My cousins?"
Watson nodded slowly. "I'm afraid so your grace."
Anthony felt his anger begin to rise as he watched his twin cousins, Richard and Vivian Stratford, step into the room. He clenched his jaw, his eyes flashing. His evening had gone from perfect to complete ruin.
Vivian smiled wickedly, her green eyes twinkling. "Hello cousin."
Anthony growled. "What are you doing here? I don't believe you were invited to this dinner."
Richard. "No we weren't, but we decided to come and pay you a visit."
Anthony. "And why have you come for a visit?"
Vivian. "We have heard that you have found your intended."
Anthony. "I have. She is here if you would like to meet her before leaving."
Richard immediately noticed Cecily, his eyes twinkling. "My word cousin, she is magnificent."
Vivian. "What is her name?"
Cecily glared at them, both brother and sister looking very distorted. "My name is Cecily Grafton."
Vivian gave her a very false smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Grafton."
Richard. "You are very lovely."