Chapter 5. 1815 

Sunlight streamed in through the curtains of Cassandra's bedroom the following morning, rousing her from a very restful sleep. Opening her eyes, she moved into a sitting position, glancing around the room. The walls were composed of dusty gold with dark teal trim. There was a tall glass window overlooking the countryside, A bathing chamber and closet, chamber pot and dressing table, and fireplace that was no longer blazing. Smiling, she ran her hands over her body that was clad in a cream silk nightgown. She had finally received a good nights rest after 13 years of not sleeping for more than two hours at a time.
Glancing at the headboard behind her, Cassandra came nose to nose with several elaborate carvings. Placing her hand against the mahogany wood, she began to feel each carving. A pair of roses, a Phoenix, and a pair of swirl designs. Each carving was more beautiful and elaborate than the last.
Turning her attention to the footboard, Cassandra felt the same five carvings. She smiled, realizing that the headboard and footboard matched perfectly. She was relieved that the bed was very comfortable, and quite warm.
Suddenly realizing the significance of the day, Cassandra nearly jumped out of bed with excitement and rushed to the closet. It was the day she was going to be reunited with her mother. She couldn't wait to be in the embrace of Lady Elizabeth Grafton.
Opening the Phoenix shaped door handle of the closet, Cassandra was met with a plethora of magnificent gowns. To her, they appeared much larger and more distorted than they actually were. However, she could distinguish the colors easily.
There were nine gowns total, the colors ranging from pastel to jewel tones. The 1st trio had off the shoulder puff sleeves, square necks, and Empire waste. They were composed of cotton, and were for casual wear. The 2nd trio had the same puff sleeves, but with sweetheart necks instead of square. They were composed of lace, designed for afternoon tea. The final trio had off the shoulder sleeves and sweetheart neck lines that were a bit more cleavage exposing than the previous trio. They were composed of silk, with much more voluminous skirts than the other six. They were composed of a corset back while the others had buttons.
Cassandra couldn't breathe, her eyes and fingers drinking in every last detail. These gowns were magnificent. And they were hers.
The knock at her bedroom door startled Cassandra slightly. Turning her head, she noticed a young lady with chestnut brown hair and blue eyes smiling at her. She returned the gesture. "Good morning."
The young lady, Rebecca, smiled back. "Good morning Miss Grafton. I do hope I wasn't disturbing you, but I have been assigned as your lady and waiting by the Duke of York."
Cassandra's eyes widened. Anthony had given her a lady and waiting? Her heart fluttered. "Thank you, that was very kind of him. I am glad I have someone to help me dress."
Rebecca giggled. "Of course Miss Grafton. Speaking of dresses, which one would you like to wear for this afternoon?"
Cassandra glanced over her options one last time. "I believe the dusty pink silk gown."
Rebecca knotted, taking the chosen gown from off the hanger. "This one is quite lovely. Lady Grafton is going to approve of it I'm sure."
As well as Anthony, Cassandra thought. She smiled as Rebecca helped her into the gown. "What time is it?"
Rebecca glanced over at the large grandfather clock toward the corner of the room. "Nearly 10:30 Miss Grafton."
Cassandra gasped, her eyes widening. "My God, I slept in."
Rebecca did up the buttons at the back of the gown. "Do you normally sleep this late?"
Cassandra shook her head. "No, I haven't slept this late for quite a while. My human family... Well, I will simply say that I hardly got any sleep while with them."
Rebecca. "You poor dear. Well, now that you are in the Phoenix realm, you can get as much sleep as you wish."
Cassandra smiled, sitting down at her vanity chair. She watched as Rebecca fixed her hair into a braided bun at the back of her neck. She was anxious and excited to be reunited with her mother, not knowing what Elizabeth would be like after 13 years of separation. However, she knew that the reunion was going to be beautiful.
Once she was ready, Cassandra stood up and made her way downstairs to the carriage that was waiting for her. Stepping outside, she smiled at the magnificent pair of white Pegasus that were pulling the vehicle. They're large and breathtaking wings fluttered as they waited for their occupant to climb inside.
Taking a breath, Cassandra climbed inside the carriage, Rebecca following close behind. Settling back against the tufted seat as the carriage began its journey toward the countryside, she felt a wave of emotions flow through her. This was it, the moment she was going to be with Elizabeth. The moment that her life was going to be changed forever.
Half an hour later, the carriage came to a stop in front of a magnificent estate composed of light gray stone and dusty gold trim along the windows and roof. The door was made of mahogany wood, and a phoenix shaped door knocker rested above the door knob. There was a small garden to the left and a lake to the right.
Cassandra was helped out of the carriage by the footman, waiting for Rebecca to follow her. Taking a breath, her eyes traveled up the magnificent building. This was her childhood home, the home that she had lived in for six years of her life. She was finally home, ready for the next chapter that would arrive. Her heart pounding, she stepped up the three stone steps leading to the front door of the house, raised her fist, and knocked three times.