Chapter 14. 1815 

The following evening, Cecily stood before her large gold mirror, smiling with satisfaction at her reflection. Her luscious curves were accentuated in a dark red velvet gown with off the shoulder sleeves and a sweetheart neckline. Diamond and ruby  gemstones decorated the bodice. Cream silk gloves and dark red slippers completed her ensemble.
Cecily smiled down at her engagement ring, the white  and red gemstones sparkling brilliantly against the chandelier light. Those same gemstones glistened brilliantly in the hair comb that was neatly tucked into her bun. She couldn't believe that evening was her engagement ball. The evening that her engagement to Anthony would be celebrated.
Rebecca approached Cecily from behind, sliding an elegant necklace around her neck. The chain was white gold, the round pendant composed of diamonds and rubies. She smiled. "That looks lovely on you Miss Grafton."
Cecily smiled. "Thank you Rebecca. What about these?" She gently fingered the diamond and ruby  earrings that dangled from her earlobes.
Rebecca smiled, nodding with approval. "Those are perfect. The colors suit you well."
Cecily giggled. "Thank you."
Rebecca turned her attention to Cecily's dressing table. Her eyebrows furrowed with confusion. "What is this?"
Cecily walked over to the dressing table, noticing the black velvet box with dark red and gold borders placed onto it. She shook her head. "I don't know. The necklace and earrings were a gift from Anthony earlier this morning. I don't remember seeing this."
Rebecca. "Do you wish to open it now or later?"
Cecily gazed at the box. "I think I am going to open it later. Anthony is waiting for me by the stairs."
Rebecca knotted, adjusting the corset of Cecily's gown. "All right."
Cecily smiled before stepping out of the room and walking down the hallway. She found Anthony waiting for her at the top of the staircase, wearing a three-piece black silk suit with a dark red button up shirt matching cravat and black boots. Her heart gave a jolt as his dark green eyes became fixed with her bright blue ones.
Anthony smiled, his eyes traveling up and down her magnificent body. "You look ravishing my love."
Cecily became bright pink. "Thank you my dear. You look dashing."
Anthony stepped forward, taking her into his arms and brushing his lips against hers for a soft kiss. "Thank you. If it's all right, I would like to make one final adjustment to our rings."
Cecily looked at him. "What sort of adjustments?"
Anthony took her left hand, his eyes and tent on the gemstones. "I simply want to change a few of the gemstones."
As Cecily watched, a brilliant silver flame engulfed the gemstones. She gasped with wonder, her eyes widening as the silver flame vanished, leaving the gemstones sparkling in its wake. She did a double take as she realized the gemstones had changed. The large Center stone was now a ruby, three of the six diamonds now garnet.
Anthony smiled. "Do you like it my love?"
Cecily met his eyes and smiled brightly. "It's beautiful darling, I love it."
Anthony brushed his lips against her knuckles. "Good, I'm glad you do. Because these particular gemstones have a significance to them."
Cecily. "Really?"
Anthony nodded. "Yes. The diamond signifies protection, the ruby love and passion, and the garnet fertility."
Cecily smiled. "That's lovely."
Anthony. "It certainly is. Shall we go downstairs? I do believe our guests are waiting for us."
Cecily paused. "I believe I forgot something in my chamber."
Anthony looked at her confused. "What did you forget?"
Cecily swallowed. "I found a box on my dressing table. It's a jewelry box of some sort, but I have not opened it yet."
Anthony nodded. "Do you want me to come back with you?"
Cecily nodded. "Please, because I don't know what is inside that box. I know for a fact that it was not gifted to me by you."
They made their way quickly back to the bedroom and walked inside. Stepping over to the dressing table, they gazed down at the black red and gold box before them on the dressing table. They exchanged a glance, becoming nervous. What was inside?
Taking a breath, Cecily removed the lid of the box and gasped, one hand covering her mouth as she saw what was lying on the black velvet pillow. Her blood turned into ice as she saw the necklace sparkling up at her. The entirety of the necklace was composed of silver, several black and red diamonds composed in a round shape making up the pendant.
Anthony stared at the piece of jewelry, his eyes becoming narrowed. "I certainly did not give this to you. I would never give you anything that was made of silver or magical gemstones."
Cecily raised her eyes to his. "Magical gemstones?"
Anthony nodded. "Black and red diamonds possess dark magic. This type of magic is very deadly to a phoenix."
Cecily nodded, her eyes fixed on the necklace. She had no idea who gave it to her, and wasn't going to put her hands on it. However, she was a bit curious. Lifting one hand, she reached for the necklace.