Chapter 11

I had flicked off the light and resumed my spot next to Michael after a few minutes. He needed to rest, truthfully. He didn't seem like he wanted to rest at all, however.

"Since you refused to go to the hospital, I'm staying right here to make sure you don't have a stroke or something." I stated firmly.

"You don't have to do that," He whispered.

"Yes, I do. Unless you want to go to the hospital, I'm staying right here. I don't know what internal injuries you might have and if they get worse, I'm taking you no matter what you say."

"Why do you care so much?" He asked.

I had to think of a good enough lie, but deep down, I knew the truth.

"Uh...because we are executing a heist together? We can't do this heist without you, Michael. I have to make sure you're healthy."

"Oh..."

He almost sounded disappointed in my response.

"Well, I'm not going to let you stay up all night then. You can stay but you have to rest too." He insisted.

I sighed but reluctantly climbed into the bed opposite him. I had never laid in his bed before, I didn't think I ever would.

"You didn't have to execute that whole rescue mission, Kathryn. I can take care of Steve and Dave on my own, you know." He whispered.

A frustrated expression danced across my face and tears welled up in my eyes.

"For Christ's sake, Michael...I'm just happy that you're safe." I breathed.

I inched closer and threw my arms around his neck, pulling him into my chest. I felt his arms snake around me in response.

I didn't say anything. I just laid there and stroked his hair gently. He might be injured, but I was so glad he was safe. Trevor would've done anything to protect him unless he was the one after him, and I knew I had to really repay Trevor somehow for his help.

I wasn't exactly sure what Michael and I were, but I knew that he made me feel the motivation to stick around. Crime itself wasn't enough to keep me in the game for long, even with a large cut from a heist like this. I had been looking for an adrenaline rush, something to replace my mundane days. Michael and our little adventures were beginning to fulfill it.

Holding Michael like that was very intimate, and I could feel the anxiety and fear of his potentially hurtful words beginning to bubble up. When suddenly, he looked up and finally pressed his lips to mine.

He pulled away slowly after a few moments and looked into my eyes, almost searching for what to say.

"Y'know...I'd been thinking about that kiss and...I figured I'd try to remember how you did it."

I could feel the pink color coming to my cheeks, but I attempted to brush it off.

"You remember that? It was just a spur of the moment thing, haha. That's funny..."

My voice trailed off.

"That's interesting...because I haven't been able to get it off my mind." Michael whispered.

He adjusted his position before leaning in again. I had thought about this moment the first time I met Michael in Lester's office, it was difficult to grasp that it was even real.

I pushed my leg up so my knee was rested on his hip as his hands continued to explore my body, leaving a trail of soft kisses down my neck and collarbone.