Chapter 18

Trevor drove me home mostly in silence, but we got back to the house okay. He only hit a poor squirrel on the interstate and I did feel really bad, but shit like that was just...life.

He pulled up outside the front door and his tires screeched loudly.

"Alright, pop tart, get out and go...I don't know meditate, or masturbate, or both."

I chuckled softly and gave him the finger, climbing out of the truck. I got up to the front steps and was about to open the door when he called out behind me.

"Hey, you gonna be okay, sugar?"

I nodded, though I wasn't really sure if my answer was genuine.

I walked into the house and retreated back to the guest bedroom, slamming the door behind me.

**Michael's POV**

I heard Trevor's truck pull up outside my front door. I was having a smoke by the pool and quickly put it out when I heard the screech of the tires and Turnstile playing on the radio. I wasn't particularly into that kind of music, but Trevor forced me to listen to it back in the day.

I was just trying to enjoy my evening relaxing by my pool, but Trevor's obnoxious behavior had to ruin it. I jumped out of the pool chair and walked into the front yard after I heard Kathryn go inside the house.

"Hey, T." I called out, approaching the truck.

I leaned my arm on the open window.

"Whaddya want, pork chop?" He grumbled.

"Not much, just makin' conversation."

Trevor didn't say anything. He just stretched his arms high over his head.

I thought for a moment. There certainly were some things I wanted to ask him about, but I wasn't sure if he was going to comply. It was worth a shot to ask, at least.

"Hey, buddy, why don't you come on over and talk to me, yeah?"

He looked at me funny but eventually rolled his eyes and shut off the engine, stumbling out of the vehicle. He followed me into the backyard and pulled up a chair next to me. He grabbed his cigarettes out of his back pocket and pulled up the ashtray to light one.

"What's up, Mikey?" He asked, firmly.

I sighed and picked at my fingers for a second, turning over my words in my head to try to construct how to phrase my series of questions.

"So...I know she took off with you today. She didn't say much when she left."

I waved my non smoking hand around aimlessly.

"Uh huh..." Trevor started to say.

"Well I guess I just-"

I had to stop to think for another moment or two. Thankfully, Trevor didn't push. His silence was giving me all the time I needed to think of something to fill the awkwardness. I put my cigarette out in the ashtray and rubbed my palms together, staring at the ground. I didn't want to see the look on Trevor's face when I asked, so I kept it nice and simple.

"How is she?"

It wasn't a friendly, catch up type of "How is she?" like when you ask about an old college buddies sister. I didn't intend it to come out as woeful and square as it did, but my emotions got the best of me, so it came out that way.

Trevor sighed and leaned forward so his elbows were resting on his knees.

"Well uh...to tell you the truth, she's not great." He admitted.