Chapter 23

I opened my eyes the next morning and Michael was gone, but the indent left over from his body was still in my bed. I sat up and looked around until I saw him standing in the bathroom brushing his teeth. I smiled to myself and threw the comforter off my legs, tossing it over the side of the bed.

I stood up and stretched, feeling all my bones crackle from my shoulders to my ankles. The sun was peeking in through the curtains and I could tell it was going to be another unbearably hot day, but I didn't have time to worry about the heat.

I had finally had my evening with Michael. It was unexpected for sure, but it was truly magical. I could hardly believe it had happened at all. I had to pinch myself again to make sure.

I walked into the bathroom just as Michael was putting the cap on the mouthwash. He was only wearing his boxers and socks. I came up behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist, kissing and resting my head in the middle of his back.

"Hey..." I whispered.

He turned his head briefly and I heard him chuckle. He turned around to give me a proper hug, pulling my head into his hairy chest and giving it a kiss.

"Morning, sweetheart..."

I sighed and squeezed my arms around his waist tighter for a moment before letting go to look him in the eyes.

"How are you?" I asked.

"I'm...pretty good. I can't complain."

"Was last night okay?"

He ran his hand through my hair and smiled

"It was wonderful, sweetheart. It was worth the wait, wasn't it?"

I nodded and he eventually grabbed a towel to go back to his room and get dressed.

"Meet me downstairs and we can make breakfast okay?"

"That sounds great, see you soon."

I jumped in the shower quickly and put on some random loungewear before going downstairs, spritzing a little perfume from the cabinet behind my ears. I put on my slippers and stepped outside the room only to be met by the smell of bacon radiating from downstairs, which only made me jog down the stairs faster. Michael was at the stove wearing a tight fitting black t-shirt and blue jeans and damn, he looked good.

"What're you making?" I asked.

"My famous breakfast bowl with bacon, eggs, and sausage."

"Famous huh? I didn't think domestic life was quite your style."

"Hey, I'm trying my best."

He grabbed plates for both of us and I dug into the food immediately, I didn't realize how hungry I was until I smelled that bacon. Michael, surprisingly, was a good cook. I gobbled most of the food down and Michael chuckled at me a few times, leaning over to wipe some hot sauce off my lip.

"So have you heard from Trevor?" He asked.

"Nah, I'll call him later today if I don't end up hearing from him soon, but I'm sure he's fine."

"Are you going to tell him about us?"

"No, not outright, if he figures it out then he figures it out there's not much I can do."

"I guess so...I hope you know that what happened between he and I in the Midwest was just...a lapse in judgment."

"Whatever, it was a long time ago. As long as you guys aren't bumping uglies now, it's none of my concern."

We engaged in simple conversation for a while until we heard a knock on the door. Michael looked at me like I would have an answer as to who it might be, but I was all out of ideas. It couldn't be Franklin or Trevor. Franklin always called and Trevor didn't knock, ever, not even on the door to the men's room.