Chapter 19

"Were you guys talking about me?" I asked.

Michael sighed and jogged up the front steps. He opened the door further to let himself inside and walked into the kitchen. He robbed the bottle of whiskey out of the cabinet and poured himself a glass.

"Hm?" He hummed, pushing the bottle in my direction.

I declined.

He pulled up a seat at the island and motioned for me to sit down. I obliged, though reluctantly.

"How much did you hear?" He asked.

"I don't know how much you guys said...but I did hear that Christian Reynolds was mentioned."

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have pried for information like that."

I sighed.

"Well, you asked. Trevor answered honestly, and it's out in the open, doesn't matter now."

I drummed my fingers on the island nervously, I wasn't really in the mood to give Michael any more information to emotionally spill my guts about the whole thing. I had been trying to put it behind me for a long time, with minimal success, but trying nonetheless. To my surprise, Michael changed the subject.

"I uh...I must admit, I haven't been entirely honest with you about my history with Trevor."

I raised en eyebrow.

"Which part?" I asked.

"Our time living in the Midwest, y'know. The late nights in shitty motels."

I chuckled and shook my head.

"Oh, no need to look all defeated, Michael. I already knew. Trevor already told me."

His eyes shot up in disbelief.

"What? When?"

"A week or two ago when we were hanging out. You know how he is, shit like that just comes up in casual conversation." I chuckled.

"Kathryn, I'm sorry I wasn't honest with you I just-"

I cut him off by putting up my hand.

"Hey, dude it's fine. We all lie sometimes. If you're gay then so be it, nothing I can do about it."

His face twisted into a scowl and he smacked the whiskey glass down on the counter with a loud, clack!

"I am not gay, Kathryn. That time all that shit happened only happened once. I can't speak for Trevor, but I know I'm not gay. It was only one time and we were both a little intoxicated and frustrated."

"Whatever you say, man." I chuckled.

He stood up and walked over to me, towering over me to look me dead in the eyes. I wasn't afraid of him, and I never had been

"No, don't talk like that, sweetheart. You may be a welcome guest in my home but if you want to remain that way you have to understand that I. am. not. gay."

"Okay, I believe you." I said firmly.

Michael backed down and apologized softly. He pulled up the chair next to me at the island and sighed.

"Evidently, you got your own shit to worry about, don't be worried about me."

Damn, it was sexy when he commanded me around like that. I almost wanted to jump up and bend over the counter right then, but I stopped myself. Instead, I decided to give him one extra sprinkle of information that he couldn't have genuinely gotten from Trevor. He had to hear it from me to be assured it was true. I sighed and clasped my hands together, picking at my thumbs.