A Reason to Fight

"I won't give up so don't give in. You've fallen down but you can rise again. So don't give up."
- Disturbed: 'A Reason to Fight' (Evolution [2018])

~**~

Pizza Restaurant
South London

The bad feelings Katy was sensing when observing Mickey, only increased as they arrived at a popular pizza restaurant they occasionally liked to frequent. The 'imposter Mickey' was still wearing a rather creepy and unnerving grin on his face, that Rose was still frustratingly oblivious at. It made Katy all the more determined to protect her sister from a potential threat.

A quick glance around the room, and Katy realised just how busy it was tonight. Which meant a potentially dangerous and sticky situation, should 'Mickey' try anything. A waiter directed them towards a table for three, and Katy sat between her sister and the imposter, but closer to Rose so she could react quickly if she needed to. Rose was talking about potential jobs that she should try for, and Katy was only half listening to the conversation, still focused on 'Mickey'.

"Do you think I should try the hospital?" Rose asked them both, frowning thoughtfully. "Suki said they had jobs going in the canteen." Then she pulled a grimace at the very thought. "Is that it then, dishing out chips?" Rose shrugged. "I could do A-Levels. What do you think, Katy?" She turned towards her sister inquiringly and Katy smiled half-heartedly.

"It's really up to you, sweetie. You made the decision to leave high school early, and I can't make the decision for you to go back." Katy reminded her, and Rose nodded as though considering Katy's views.

"I don't know. It's all Jimmy Stone's fault. I only left school because of him and look where he ended up." Rose glanced at Mickey who was still grinning inanely at them and raised an eyebrow. "What do you think?" She asked him.

He suddenly changed the subject.

"So, where did you meet this Doctor?" 'Mickey' blurted out randomly, causing both Rose and Katy to frown at him but for different reasons.

"I'm sorry, wasn't I talking about me for a second?" Rose retorted, a bit annoyed with the change in topic. But 'Mickey' continued talking as though Rose hadn't even spoken.

"Because I reckon it started back at the shop, am I right? Was he something to do with that?"

"No." Rose looked confused.

"Come on." Mickey wheedled, and Rose shrugged, unsure how to answer the question.

"Sort of."

"What was he doing there?" He prodded, still torpedoing Rose with questions related to the Doctor. Rose immediately shuts down, obviously still feeling disappointed that the lead she had taken in talking to Clive, supposedly landed her back into square one.

At least, that's what she believed.

"I'm not going on about it, Mickey. Really, I'm not, because, I know it sounds daft, but I don't think it's safe."

'You bet your arse it's not safe!' Katy thought anxiously, eyeing Mickey mistrustfully.

"I think he's dangerous." Rose confessed quietly.

"But you can trust me, sweetheart. Babe, sugar, babe, sugar." Both girls looked at him strangely. "You can tell me anything. Tell me about the Doctor and what he's planning, and I can help you." He grabs Rose by the hand in what looked like a loving touch from a concerned boyfriend. But by the way Rose winced slightly, it was probably anything but.