Little Wonders

"Let it slide. Let your troubles fall behind you. Let it shine. Until you feel it all around you. And I don't mind, if it's me you need to turn to. We'll get by. It's the heart that really matters in the end." - Rob Thomas: 'Little Wonders' (Meet the Robinsons [2007])

~**~

A Staircase

Rose, Katy, Adam and DeMaggio eventually come across a staircase while running, and Rose nearly cries with relief.

"Stairs! That's more like it. It hasn't got legs. It's stuck!" Rose points out. Katy straightens up and pushes away from Rose who immediately protests. "Wait, what are you doing?"

"I think I'm okay for the moment. My head only hurts when the Dalek is really close to me." Katy reassures her sister. "Besides, you're gonna have a hard time pulling me up the stairs if we have to move quickly." She points out, and Rose nods reluctantly.

"Are you sure?" Rose asks, still deeply concerned about Katy. She really needed to get the Doctor to examine her to really make sure her sister was okay. Jackie would never let them go anywhere if anything happened to either of them.

"I'm sure. I'll let you know if anything changes." Katy smiles weakly at Rose, as she grabs a hold of the metal banister of the staircase to steady herself.

She still didn't feel well, but she also didn't want to be a burden on her sister and possibly get herself or even her killed, just because she had a weird reaction towards the Dalek, that involved familiar, and yet unfamiliar flashbacks to plague her head.

"It's coming!" DeMaggio yells frantically, and Katy immediately feels the pain prickling in her head, which was a confirmation that the Dalek was getting closer, causing her to groan. Rose eyes her worriedly as they run a flight and look down on the Dalek.

"Great big alien death machine defeated by a flight of stairs," Adam taunts the Dalek, as it pauses on the bottom step and looks up at them. Katy threw a glare at him. Now was not the moment to taunt something that could shoot deadly beams at them. DeMaggio aims her gun at the Dalek, defensively.

"Now listen to me." She commands, in a low confident voice, enunciating every other word so the Dalek could understand very clearly what she was trying to say. "I demand that you return to your cage. If you want to negotiate then I can guarantee that Mister Van Statten will be willing to talk." Katy snorted through her pain at the idea that Van Statten would be willing to do anything even remotely compassionate for anybody. "I accept that we imprisoned you and maybe that was wrong, but people have died, and that stops right now. The killing stops. Have you got that?"

The Dalek just continues looking at DeMaggio, not saying a word.

"I demand that you surrender. Is that clear?" DeMaggio orders. A few moments pass, and it seems like the Dalek might actually listen to what DeMaggio is requesting.

But then...

"ELEVATE!" The Dalek hovers in mid-air and glides up the stairs.

"Oh, my God." Rose mutters in horror, quickly grabbing her sister's hand in anticipation of a long run ahead of them.

"Figures," Katy spoke up, wincing in pain. "Why did we think that would even work in the first place?" DeMaggio disengages the safety on her gun.

"Adam, get them out of here." She orders firmly.

"Come with us," Rose suggests instead. "You can't stop it."