Humans Being

"There is just enough Christ in me, to make me feel almost guilty. Is that why God made us breed, to make us see we're Humans Being." - Van Halen: 'Humans Being' (The Best Of [1996])

~**~

"Mummy. Mummy. Mummy. Mummy. Mummy. Mummy."

This continues until the patients are almost within touching distance of the four of them. Then the Doctor suddenly steps forward, a look of determination on his face.

"Go to your room." He orders in a firm voice. The patients in the ward stand still, looking at him. "Go to your room." The Doctor repeats, using the same firm, angry parental voice. "I mean it. I am very, very angry with you. I am very, very cross. Go to your room!" He orders; and to Katy, Rose and Jack's amazement and relief, the patients hang their heads in shame and shuffle away, getting back into their beds. There was silence for several minutes before the Doctor lets out a relieved laugh. "I'm really glad that worked. Those would've been terrible last words."

The sisters and Jack look at the Doctor with incredulous expressions

The sisters and Jack look at the Doctor with incredulous expressions. A few minutes later, the four of them were cautiously observing the patients resuming their positions lying on their beds. Rose was staring at them all, taking in their strange appearances.

"Why are they all wearing gas masks?" She pondered.

"They're not," Jack responds. "Those masks are flesh and bone." The self-confessed con man looked deeply disturbed by what he was seeing before his very eyes. The Doctor studied him, suspiciously.

"How was your con supposed to work?" He asked.

"Simple enough, really." Jack was quick to answer. "Find some harmless piece of space junk, let the nearest Time Agent track it back to Earth, convince him that it's valuable, name a price." He lists all the facts. "When he's got fifty percent up front, oops! A German bomb falls on it, destroys it forever. Never gets to see what he's paid for; never knows he's been had. I buy him a drink with his own money, and we discuss dumb luck." He grins at the Doctor cheerfully. "The perfect self-cleaning con."

"Yeah. Perfect." The Doctor replied coldly, while Katy shakes her head with disgust and Rose just looks disappointed.

"The London Blitz is great for self-cleaners. Pompeii's nice if you want to make a vacation of it though, but you've got to set your alarm for Volcano Day." He chuckles lightly, but soon peters out when he realises he's the only one laughing. He frowns. "Getting a hint of disapproval."

"Really? Just a hint?" Katy stated mockingly.

"Take a look around the room." The Doctor advised him. "This is what your harmless piece of space-junk did."

"It was a burnt-out medical transporter. It was empty." Jack defends his actions. The Doctor sneers and makes a beeline for the ward doors.