Fighter

"After all you put me through, you'd think I'd despise you. But in the end, I wanna thank you. 'Cause you made me that much stronger." - Christina Aguilera: 'Fighter' (Stripped [2002])

~**~

Floor 56

The second the Doctor and Lynda came running out of the Big Brother House, he immediately stops and recognises where they were.

"Hold on. I've been here before," The Doctor realises. "This is Satellite Five," He glances around, frowning. "No guards. That makes a change. You'd think a big business-like Satellite Five would be armed to the teeth," The Doctor and Lynda head for another door and they go through.

"No one's called it Satellite Five in ages," Lynda tells him. "It's the Game Station now. Hasn't been Satellite Five in about a hundred years."

"A hundred years exactly," the Doctor confirms. "It's the year two zero zero, one zero zero. I was here before, floor one three nine. The satellite was broadcasting news channels back then. Had a bit of trouble upstairs. Nothing too serious. Easy. Gave them a hand, home in time for tea."

Lynda blinks at him in surprise.

"A hundred years ago?" She looked disbelieving. "What, you were here a hundred years ago?"

"Yep!" The Doctor grins.

"You're looking good on it," Lynda observes, interestedly.

"I moisturise," The Doctor smirks at a personal joke, before wondering over to a nearby computer and sonicking it with his screwdriver. He frowns at what he finds. "Funny sorts of readings. All kinds of energy. The place is humming. It's weird. This goes way beyond normal transmissions. What would they need all that power for?"

"I don't know. I think we're the first ever contestants to get outside," Lynda believed, looking around nervously, in case a hidden guard suddenly jumps out at them to arrest them. The Doctor continues scanning the monitor, urgently.

"I had three friends travelling with me," The Doctor explained. "They must've got caught in the same transmat. Where would they be?"

"I don't know," Lynda said again, and the Doctor had to stop himself from snapping at her for stating the obvious as she continued talking. "They could've been allocated anywhere. There's a hundred different games."

"Like what?" The Doctor raised an eyebrow.

Lynda thought for a moment.

"Well, there's ten floors of Big Brother. There's a different House behind each of those doors," Lynda indicates to the row of doors just beside them. "And then beyond that, there's all sorts of shows. It's non-stop," She explains to a very interested Doctor. "There's Call My Bluff, with real guns. Countdown, where you've got thirty seconds to stop the bomb going off. Ground Force, which is a nasty one. You get turned into compost. Er, Wipeout, speaks for itself. Oh, and Stars in their Eyes. Literally, stars in their eyes. If you don't sing, you get blinded," Lynda finishes explaining the different shows, and the Doctor makes a face.