To Win It all

At that point, not a single soul in the room, not even Xue Yang, raised a voice in opposition. 

Iris beamed at them. "Good, now that I have your complete attention. You, puppy, have run amok for far too long. I know how busy gods can get. They may be all seeing, all knowing but as dynasties clash and fall, when volcanoes belch lahars and plagues rear their hideous heads, sometimes mere sociopaths can slip their notices. Tiny, little maniacs that torment others just...get away with pulling wings off of butterflies for too long. And that is you, Xue Yang."

His eyes narrowed. The bitch meant business. He decided a different approach might be wiser, so he bent his head and began to cry.

"I cannot excuse myself. I ...you see, my Mother loathed me upon sight." Deep sigh. "I never knew why, she just wrapped me in the bloodstain sheet I was born in and left me by the side of a dusty road." He heard a sound and looked up angrily to see the Goddess trying vainly to stifle a snicker.

"Oh my, " She said, her voice ladened with irrepressible mirth. "Oh! Dear me!"  Not the ''Mom is to blame tactic. Lan Zhan was nearly beaten to death by his uncle. Wei Ying had his body rendered by fierce corpses. And, my goodness, they did not turn out like you, you miserable worm."

She walked over to him and stared into his eyes. "Today is your day for punishment. I have several options..." She thought for a moment. 

"I could just crush you to death with my bare hands. However, I think it would be more final if your victims decide your fate. I am a mere bystander here, not emotionally involved in this mess. It's actually more scientific interest. Similar to the demon king who once ruled the hell you visited after each lifetime. Yes, once ruled. He has since been demoted and handed back to the demonic torturers he trained, for a taste of his own medicine.

Yes, I believe it is only right that you be sentenced by your peers."

A low, firm voice spoke up and everyone's attention was drawn to the quiet woman who had been waiting silently within the array. Yenay stood there, patient and intense.

"I claim the right to hand to hand combat. I claim it in restitution for the slaughter of the Chang Clan, my Clan, wiped off the face of this planet by Xue Yang. By right of submitting a terrified child to years of sexual slavery. He is mine, and when I defeat him, I will hand his soul over to the Lan Sect for disposal. This I claim in my name, Chang Yenay, wife to Lan Qinyang, sister to Lan XiChen. In their names, and the names of the Chang Clan, I claim him." She stood firm, ready to defy the shimmery messenger, if she were denied.

"Somehow, I knew that you would speak, my child. I grant you your claim."

There was a burst of maniacal laughter from Xue Yang. 

"Beautiful. Beautiful! Might as well chalk up the winner right now. " He grinned at the still form within the array. 

"Girl, do you really think, when I charge you the very first time, that you will be able to stomach using your sword and slicing repeatedly into your precious brother? Seeing his blood fly off your own blade to paint this room? Because that is what you will see. I will never stop coming for you and he will lie in pieces on the floor, because of you. My soul means nothing to me, I will still keep coming back, looking for you both. And finding you."

She allowed herself a small smile. "Oh, I will not use my sword for this." She reached under the palette that Lan XiChen had used during the time within and withdrew her hickory practice sword.

"This, and my bare hands, will be all I need. The wood has been slowly hardened to the strength of steel, Xue Yang. We will close this array behind us and it will not be opened until one of us leaves. I plan on beating you until you grovel and beg for my mercy, then we will dispose of your living soul in a place so secure you will never see the sun again. Lan XiChen will have his body back and he will heal. And your soul will live on, in eternal darkness. Forever."

"So be it," the Goddess stated. "You combatants may retain your armor. After you say your goodbyes privately, and enter the array, you will be locked in until only one of you walks out on your own power." 

Wei Ying was the first one Yenay approached. "You are lighter on your feet, Sister. Avoid his edge. And play towards what he remembers of you, not what you have become since being with us. He expects weakness and fragility. Give him a sense of that and lure him in. When the time comes, play dirty. Now is not the time to play by the rules."

Lan Zhan was next. "You are victory. Never doubt. Your power is that shining loyalty to him. XiChen is so proud of you, and he waits to embrace you in the end. Never doubt. He will want you to become Halo. Tap into her fury, lay her fears aside. You will win this because you have love waiting."

She walked to Ming, Qinyang and the owl next. Ming smiled at her. "You remind me of myself at your age. Women who dare, are often never recognized by history. Women who dare, however, win the wars in the end and live in the hearts of their loved ones. Fight, my girl."

Then she moved into Qinyang's embrace. No words were spoken, they simply gazed into one another's eyes, souls talking for them. When it was time, she offered her lips for a kiss, one that held all the love they could muster and a promise to return. 

Finally, she stood before the owl. It looked at her with the large yellow eyes and behind the wild animal she could see, the love, the worry, and the frustration at her burden. She reached over and stroked the soft white down under his chin.

 "Brother, teacher, kind-heart. I will do this. Please forgive me any damage I may have to do to your body now. This is the worst thing he has ever done to me. I will feel every blow I must deliver, for the rest of my life."  XiChen turned his magnificent head and let her cup it gently in her hand. They stayed that way until Iris softly called to her.

"It is time."