Respite At Last

It took some time for people to recover and decompress. 

Lan XiChen needed rest and many sessions of energy infusions. They all took their turns and he gained strength quickly. He rarely left his chamber and halfway through the sessions, he announced that Ming would continue them privately with him and thanked everyone for their help. Of course, everyone kept a straight face, suppressing the urge to laugh up their sleeves, especially as a Quiet Spell immediately cloaked the room as they walked away. Gone were the days during their first life, when he could not approach his pregnant wife for many months before the birth. This was one 20th-century improvement they were going to do their best to enjoy. Especially since the Great General Ming had held up quite well during the recent stress.

Things had not gone as happily for Nie Mingjue and Meng Yao. There were many talks, many raised voices, and the sound of lost weeping from the Meng Yao's lone quarters late at night. It got so bad at one point that Wei Ying and Lan Zhan entered at midnight to try and soothe him.

"It's not his fault. Mingjue says he has forgiven me. But this lifetime is too new and raw for him. He has much to absorb and since I was the instrument of destruction, it is only correct that he cannot be near me, even as David. I must respect his wishes."

Wei Ying threw is arm over the thin shoulders. "What will you do? You know you can stay here as long as you need. Mingjue has already indicated that he will leave soon to be with Hauisang and Chu Chu."

"I thank you for that, but I must learn to fend for myself. Gain some skills..."

A throat cleared at the door, and they all looked up to see the Goddess Iris standing there.

"I would say I am sorry, I did not mean to eavesdrop, but that would be a lie. We gods tend to listen whenever and wherever we wish. An occupational hazard for humans, I am afraid."

She walked over to the distraught Meng Yao and placed an elegant finger under his chin, lifting his head up to study his face. It went on for an uncomfortable ten minutes or more.

"You have good features. Those large eyes, the wounded smile, those impossibly deep dimples. Very pretty. Very tempting. But that is not what is most valuable about you. It is the blankness I see inside of you. You endured a lot when in hell, and I believe it was your goal to erase yourself as completely as possible. Your core has reduced to the size and has the innocence of an infant. Thank the Great God in Heaven, you failed to eradicate it completely."

She removed her finger and began to pace the floor.

"Mingjue may or may not ever forgive you. I am being honest with you. But if I make you an offer that could make you into the sort of man who one day may meet his exacting expectations, would you consider it? "

"Yes. Whatever it might take."

"Then I would like to take you on as my disciple.' Meng Yao's mouth dropped open in disbelief, and Wei Ying and Lan Zhan looked on in astonishment.

"My husband and I do occasionally, bring a new one aboard. Your core is a clean slate, but we all know that during your first lifetime, you attained heights as few others did. They were evil heights, but it shows me that you might be able to attain the same level and use it for good if properly guided. We are not easy Masters. We demand everything from our disciples. But they all, without exception, turn out well. And I would hate to see your raw talent not given the chance to blossom correctly.

Oh, and if you disappoint me, and turn to evil again, I will kill you myself. Think hard on it."

Before she could leave, Meng Yao, his face shining with adoration, kneeled face down at her feet. His voice was soft yet firm. "Master, I pledge my life, for as many lifetimes as needed, to follow you, learn from you, and never disappoint you." She did not reply at first, studying him one last time. Finally, she accepted.

"Then say your goodbyes tonight. You may not see these people again for a good, long time. You all need a break from this past and time for you all to heal." She left and the three of them stood, dumbfounded.

He turned to look at his benefactors, dazed and bewildered. " Would you ask everyone to join in a final dinner with me tonight? Let them know what good fortune has come my way, that I wish to bid you all farewell. I will not be joining you when you dispose of Xue Yang. I must...I need to leave, and I do not know what to expect. Furthermore, I am a little terrified, I think."

"Yet you will do this? What do you wish to gain from this commitment?" Asked Lan Zhan, his face concerned.

"I wish to do this for myself. I want to find a place where I can be useful and not cause another person pain. And if that person should one day wish to seek me out, I will be worthy of him. And should he decide to never see me again, I will accept that and finally be worthy enough for me."

Wei Ying had tears in his eyes as he spoke. 'I understand you completely. Although my person..." And he looked up at Lan Zhan with all the love within him..." My person never turned from me, I turned from myself and had to learn my own worth as well. It is a journey I never regretted."

Lan Zhan returned his husband's look. "But I turned from you these last two lives."

"You needed the rest, my love. I can be too high maintenance, even for our dear XiChen. I bet I don't see him again for a lifetime or two, after this one!"

"Good. Let's roam the world and see what the future holds for us together. In fact, should we return to "France" after dinner?"

"I think we should. But I want to be the Sun King for once!"

"Your wish is my desire, your Highness. In the meantime, we should inform the others about dinner. But let's not annoy The Sect Master and the General for a few hours more. Agreed?"

"Only if you agree to whipped up some rich and creamy sauces." Wei wheedled.

"Oh, that is my intention, but not for dinner, my Love. Not for dinner."