Manifestation

Lan Zhan and Wei Ying arrived first, and they stared at the body of Xue Yang, sitting peacefully as if in deep meditation. It was lifeless, the soul of Lan XiChen was no longer present. Iris had prepared them for this but their concern for the missing soul of Lan XiChen was heavy. Had it survived? Was it being cared for? It was terrifying, the loss of control which had been passed on to a deity that they did not know nor had been given any time to bond with. Ming's complete trust was admirable, but she was a desperate woman who could no longer stand the horror that had become her husband's life. If this did not work, all would be lost. It was taking all of Lan Zhan's strength to hold on to this thin tether of hope that Iris offered them. 

There was an outbreak of shouting as they heard Xue Yang burst through the doors. He shoved his way through the small gathering of Lan and rushed to the side of the corpse. He held his finger under its nose and back up, stunned and livid.

"I want the guards on duty last night locked up. I will personally interrogate their pathetic asses. They say they saw a bird? A fucking little yellow bird? A lady first and she turned into a BIRD???!!!." He was beside himself and eyes widened as everyone there saw the usually even, quiet Lan XiChen begin to fracture before their eyes. Those, who knew nothing of the body switch, began to back away, perplexed and a little frightened. The fury being exhibited was incendiary, as his eyes narrowed and spittle flew.

"Where is Lady Lan? I want that bitch found and dragged down here. If she wants to keep that brat in her belly alive and her own head on her shoulders, she better spill the truth to me." He whirled around to a pair of guards. "Take this body to the freezer, the empty one near the kitchen. Kept it cold. IMMEDIATELY!"

He turned around to face Lan Zhan and Wei Ying, "Arrest these two for treason. I want them in chains. NOW!!" He screamed.

He shoved his face into Lan Zhan's. "Where is he? What has happened? It just didn't fly away into the stars. I want it back where it belongs." A dead silence blanketed the room as the two squared off, finally able to let voices ring out as etiquette and enforced niceties fell away and their mutual hatred took full reign.

Eyes glittering, Bichen suddenly in his hand, Lan Zhan raised his voice. "Where is WHAT? You tell ME where it is at, Sect Master?" His voice thundered, sickened and mighty. He advanced until they were nose to nose.

" Tell us all. Why do you worry so about the dead body of a criminal? Why demand that a soul like Xue Yang, valueless and worthless, corrupted beyond all salvation, be returned? Speak, Sect Master, because we all want to hear."

"Yes, do tell us. You want 'it' back because 'it' is the one soul you covet above all others. The one you cannot ever keep. The soul of Lan XiChen ... Your only ace in the hole is gone, Xue Yang." Wei Ying spoke softly. "Lan XiChen's captured soul soared free last night. He has spent the last hour flying the sky with his wife, choosing that life as an alternative to this cell, where he lay bound, tormented and silent as you triumphed over him. He wants his body back, Xue Yang, but will choose Wang Menquin over this prison if that is his last option. HE chose. Not you."

Xue Yang's suddenly strained laughter erupted. His eyes scanned the gathering crowd, all Lan and now allied behind Lan Zhan. "You two are completely mad! Everyone here can see who I really am. I am Lan XiChen, Sect Master of Cloud Recesses and Lan Sect. And anyone here who doubts that will be shunned and expelled in the future."

Nie Hauisang shout out. "The Lan XiChen we know would never behave like this. We know who you are Xue Yang. We have known for days."

"What proof do you offer?"

A weak voice came out of the crowd. " I am proof."

The crowd parted and standing before him was Meng Yao, pale, unsteady, supported on either side by Yenay and Qinyang.