16

NONKULULEKO
#16

**SPONSORED by Lethabo**

Detective Kay asked me for Mfundo’s address and I gave it to her. I hoped they would arrest him. Even if it could be just for a week, anything for him to feel the pain he made me feel. I may have consented to the intercourse but the bastard manipulated me. He saw how vulnerable and accessible I was, he used that to his advantage. And him leaving me there was a final nail to the coffin! He pretended like he didn’t know me when we went to his family to announce the pregnancy. So no, I didn’t feel guilty about opening a case against him. He deserved it.

It was time to come clean to my grandmother and tell her about the case. She wasn’t happy that I kept the news from her for such a long time.
“None of you would have believed me gogo, it was during that time where I was still abused. You probably would have said I deserved it” I was right though. No one would have believed me.
“I am sorry my child, I am even ashamed of my acts.”
“I know, my mother was not a saint, so you said”
“your mother was…”
“No gogo please don’t tell me. My mother was an angel and I would like to remain with that picture only. I don’t need to know anything that would change my perspective of her”, I didn’t want anything to ruin the picture I had of my mother. I’d rather not know than hate my mother. She was resting peacefully.

“I wish I had known what that boy did to you, I would have pressed harder on his family. Plus he is too tough and you are just thin. No wonder you couldn’t fight him. I’m sorry”
“It’s okay, I found a way to get over it. I just hope South African justice will not fail me like it fails others”
“Let’s hope so”

**

Relatives were leaving one by one but Gabi remained to help my grandmother because she didn’t think she was “safe” with me. Apparently she went to a Sangoma and they told her that I was carrying a dark cloud with me and all that. Exhausting! But I had a case to prepare for. I didn’t want to worry about her.
And oh, the previous day it was my birthday, I was turning 17. How time flew, my suspension was over and I went back to school. It was really weird, and I felt like people were staring at me. Kids did not even want to sit next to me. But who cared?

Kay called me to the station to discuss the way forward with the case. Mfundo had been arrested for about two weeks and I heard he was denied bail. Served him right!
I just wished I could see him, I wanted to see his face. And see if he was sorry or not. I would discuss it with Kay and ask her. I got inside her office and there was another woman with her. She had a welcoming smile. I greeted them and sat down.

“Thank you for coming Nonkululeko”, the way she pronounced my name was a bit funny.
“How is the case going? Is he going to rot in jail?”, I asked eagerly.
“Not yet, we still have to go on trial. The prosecutor has taken into consideration your case and we are waiting to hear from them if we can go ahead with the trial. And we don’t have evidence. It’s your word against his. A rape kit will be futile because it has been over a year since this happened.” Damn it! I didn’t know many things would be required. I thought they would take my sob story and throw him in jail.

Why did we need a trial? He raped me, I said it. Didn’t they believe me? “How soon can that be? And what kind of evidence do we need? I wasn’t recording when he was raping me” I was honestly getting angry.
“I know love, but we can start by gathering witnesses for now to testify for you.”
I didn’t have anyone in mind.
“Who is she?”, I asked about the other woman.
“Don’t worry about it. Let’s focus here. I will ask around and get some witnesses from your neighborhood who might have saw you that day”
Uhm…..Nandi saw me that day. I was walking differently. But how could that help?
“My stepmother, she saw me but didn’t say anything. I think she was suspecting that something happened but was afraid to ask”
“Great. I will talk to her. Give me her address”
I gave it to her.
“Can I see him?”
“Who?”
“Mfundo. I just want to see if he has any remorse”
“Okay but only for a while”
She took me to him and said she was giving me five minutes.

He was sleeping on the single bed. Must be sad to be behind bars. I rang the bars and he woke up. He was shocked to see me.

“You!”He marched towards the bars but I stepped back.

“Be careful what you do Mfundo, I may just add to my statement” I laughed and fixed my jacket.

“I just wanted to see how jail was treating you.”

“Get me out of here Nonkululeko! Why did you lie!? You and I both know that I didn’t rape you. Why are you telling everyone that I raped you? You were the one who asked me to sleep with you because you didn’t want to feel the pain”

He was lying. I knew what I said. He raped me. I didn’t know anything about sex mina. I was just 15 years old.

“Stop acting like you are a victim. I knew you were crazy but not like this!”
I am not crazy! I am not crazy.

“Angihlanyi mina Mfundo”, I banged the gates screaming at him. Kay quickly came in when she heard the noise. I jumped into her arms, crying. “He was trying to strangle me”

He opened his eyes wide and looked at me in shock.
“Mkhize don’t make me add more charges. Your lawyer is on his way. Let’s go Nonku”
I followed her and turned to Mfundo. I showed him the middle finger smiling.
We went back to her office and the other woman was still there.

So now, I know you must be thinking I am really crazy but I am not. And don’t judge me because I’m watching you!

Kay said, “This is Whitney, she is a therapist. And she would like to talk to you”
I looked at Whitney and I didn’t want to talk to her. I didn’t need a therapist.
“I just need 10 minutes”, she said.
Kay told me that it was okay. She left us and I sat down. Wanting to hear what she has to say.
“How are you?”
Seriously ?
“I am well. How are you?”
“No, how are you Nonkululeko?”
The way she asked that question hit me deep, it showed care and concern from her voice. No one had ever been that concerned about me. Honestly, I was tired. Very tired.
“I am very tired, Whitney. I feel like I am fighting demons I don’t know. I am tired”
I couldn’t help myself, I just broke down.
.
.
To be continued
Please like, comment and share ☀