Prologue

NONKULULEKO

Prologue

All of them. They are all throwing daggers at me. Publicly and silently judging me. All of them wanting to strike first. The one holding me is seconds away from cutting off my hand. Ire is written all over their faces. I never thought there would be a moment in my life where I am surrounded by a mob, wanting to kill me. For what? For standing up for myself? For doing something I should have done years ago? Where were they when I went to bed with bruises all over my body? When I cried myself to sleep? When I was downcast, dejected, where were they? They only came now that I have avenged myself, only when I have taken a stand and rose up in front of my oppressors. I did what anyone who is tired of being mistreated would do. They did not care about me when I was on the receiving end of abuse, they saw me, they heard my cries, but none of them came to help. They all turned a blind eye, they all pretended that they didn't hear nor see anything. They chose to protect them and throw me into the lions' den. I begged for help, cried for anyone to save me but no one came to my rescue. I was the only one I could depend on. I was all alone in the world.

"All I'm saying is, she needs to be done what she did to them", one woman from the crowd suggested. The community goes wild, agreeing with her. I should have known. Of course that's the punishment here! They might as well kill me, it doesn't matter. There's nothing I can live for anyway. My life has no value, I have nothing and I am just so damn tired! They should kill me and hurry it up. I don't want to be in this world anymore. It's infected and I have caught its deadly disease. I will be so much at peace when I'm dead.

"Akafeeee!!!!!(let her die)", I could not see who shouted that. I just felt a hot metal hit my legs. Must be ucelemba. I sank down to my knees gasping and pressing my teeth together. That hurt but they should do it again, let them do it until I die. I give them permission.
If you are wondering why I am at a blink of being killed by a mob then I should take you back. To where it all started. Leaving no details out and letting my oppressors speak for themselves.
……………………………………..
*
*
Five years ago.

I heard we were moving into a new house, we just laid my mother to rest. So why are we moving? I tried asking my father but he just dismissed me. He told me to pack all that belonged to me, that we would leave by sunset. I wondered where we were going. Part of me was anxious and another was intrigued. A change of scenery always does you good. I took a deep breath and wheeled my suitcase out. He was already waiting for me in his car. Oh how it has lasted! When I was a toddler, dad had the same car. I was surprised that it was still running even then.

"You should hurry Nonkululeko, it's almost dawn", dad and being dramatic. The sun was still out. We loaded everything in the car and I got in the front seat with him. He started the engine and drove. I wanted to ask where we were going but I decided otherwise. I looked at his hand and I noticed he had removed his wedding ring. I was hurt. It had not even been a month since we buried my mother, his wife, and he had already taken off the ring. Did my mother not mean anything to him? They were married for 15 years!
The car came to a halt and I realized we had reached our destination. What destination?I did not know where we were. In front of us stood an average family house with white paint and a broken gate. It was not any better than the house we were living in. A woman got out of the house, with a dirty towel wrapped around her. I looked at my dad and he was smiling from ear to ear. The woman approached us and moved past me, going straight to my dad. They both shared a hug, it was so cozy and intimate. I stood there wondering who the woman was. My dad came to my rescue and introduced us. I was never prepared to hear who she was. My step-mother, that's who my dad introduced her as. I was still stuck and shocked to utter any words when the stepmother told me to stop standing like an idiot and take our bags inside. That should have been enough to make me realize that the woman didn't like me.

I took our bags inside, alone. My father was smitten by my new stepmother. The interior of the house wasn't that bad, I was just worried about the condition in terms of cleanliness. It was untidy, things were flying everywhere.

"These are your siblings. Your brother and sister, Lwazi and Anele", the stepmother introduced the two children I found inside. They looked about 8 to 9 years old. Dad never told me he had other children. I looked at him with a confused look and he just shied away from my eyes. He had been living a lie, for sure my mother did not know about this family.

I was shown where I would sleep and I just missed my old room. I am not used to sleeping with other people in the same bed.

"Why did we move here dad?"I asked him when we were alone.
He replied,"This is our new family now Nonkululeko. Nandi is your new mother. Respect her like you respect me. You will love her".
I did not want to love her. I just wanted to go back home. I feared to throw a tantrum because I did not want to make his life difficult.
After unpacking my clothes from my suitcase I went out with the hope of getting something to eat but I overheard them talking about me, I could not stop myself from eavesdropping.
My father said,"she is still heartbroken over the loss of her mother. Be lenient with her."
The dirty lady replied,"I don't care. I don't know why you brought her here. She better listen to everything I say Mahlase or she will find herself on the streets. I won't have any mercy or leniency when it comes to Mbali's seed".
Mbali was my mother. Who was this woman? And why did she have so much hate for me? I didn't even know her.

I moved away from the corner and went to the kitchen, I opened the fridge and there was no groceries. Just a bitten apple and one slice of bread. Disappointed! I turned back only to find Mam'Nandi staring at me with a look that could send me to hell. She scared me.

"Wavula ama fridge ubekeni khona!?"That was rude! I just wanted something to eat. My dad came into the room and calmed her down.
He said he would go and buy groceries.
I was left alone in the kitchen with her. My heart was beating so fast, I was scared of her.

"Stop looking at me, clean the room! Be useful!", is what she said before turning away and walking out. I let out a huge breath when she left. I looked around and wondered where to start with cleaning. It was confirmed that I was not welcome in the house. She made it clear with her words, tone and actions.
.
.
To be continued