Chapter 13

~~~

Evan's POV—

"Luna, Luna, Luna, got you dancing in my eyes. Staring at you, hypnotized...tryna figure you out," I sing Hayley Kiyoko's Luna as I drive through town, heading to someplace I've been meaning to go to for a while now. "Luna, tell me, do ya want me here right under you? Tryna follow every move. Will you ever come down?"

Stopping at a red light, I look out the window, finding trees that are changing colors. Being a mixture of green, orange, red, and brown.

I like autumn. The weather isn't too cold, the trees look beautiful, and pumpkins are popular around this time of year. And while I may not like sweets that much—I love pumpkin pie. And sweet potato pie—both of which are popular around this time of year.

Humming the song, I continue on when the light turns green. Occasionally glancing to my right and left when a really big and full tree with red leaves comes by.

I've been debating seeing if Ashley would be up for taking a trip with me Up North—like maybe to St. Ignace, just on the other side of Mackinac Bridge. There's a lot of trees Up North, and I know that with the changing leaves, it would be a breathtaking sight.

But we would have to go soon—like this weekend, or maybe even next weekend.
Otherwise the leaves will start falling.

Ashley's been kind of acting weird though.

When she came back from her phone call last night at dinner, she told me she wasn't feeling that great and that she needed to go home. So we said goodnight to everyone and left early.

She didn't say anything on the ride back to her house, though. She wouldn't tell me what was wrong. And she barely said goodnight to me before she all but slammed the door in my face.

When I went to her house this morning to drive her to work, her car was already gone.

Last time I checked, I didn't do anything wrong. So I don't know why she would be giving me the silent treatment.

I'm trying to give her some space to work things out on her own and not hover over her, but with it being already late afternoon and she still hasn't returned any of my calls or texts, I'm starting to worry.

Maybe it's just mood swings—that's a thing right? So maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

But I won't know until she talks to me.

Sighing, I do my best to shake off my unease before I reach my destination. I drive a little bit more, trying to get as close to where I want to be as possible.

Once I get as close as I can, I put my car in park and grab the flowers next to me on the passenger seat before I climb out of my car.

And walk up to Jaxon's tombstone.

"Hey, Jaxon," I say out loud as I approach his tombstone and place the flowers close to it. "Sorry I didn't come by sooner, a lot's happened since I last visited you." Sitting down on the somewhat cold ground, I stare at his name written across the piece of stone. His date of birth and death written underneath.

I meant to come by sooner but so much happened within the past couple of months. Ashley left Eli at the altar, we reconnected, I left to work things out in California, moved to Michigan, we went to Lake Michigan, and I've been catching up with old friends and family.

The last time I visited Jaxon was when I last visited Michigan a couple of years ago. I was just about to start a new tour and I wanted to spend some time with my family before I left for it.

"The tour I was telling you about last time I visited you went by great. Every show was sold out and I got to meet a lot of new fans. A lot of them actually had gifts for me—like bracelets, cards, and other small crafty things. This one girl actually made me a little crocheted penguin." I tell him, laughing as I recall the memory.