Chapter 34

~~~

Ashley's POV—

My heart races, my stomach twisting and turning. Every part of me coming alive as Evan kisses me.

She had that same look of longing that I've been feeling tonight. Ever since she insisted on staying after everyone else had left to help clean up. And her helping to put Jaxon to bed only made the feeling more intense.

Made me want her even more.

And then I saw the same feeling on her face and it caught me off guard.

And when she moved closer to move some hair out of my face...

My stomach just about twisted and turned, and my heart started racing like crazy. The feelings and emotions swarming my body and mind at an all new high.

And I looked at her lips.

I didn't mean to, but I did. And when I looked up again, I saw her looking at mine and I could only bite my lower lip to prevent myself from pouncing on her then.

But then we just looked at each other, and I saw the same look of longing on her face again. And seeing it again broke whatever restraint that was left.

And next thing I knew, we were both leaning towards each other.

Evan slowly pulls away from me, her retreat making my entire being protest. Wanting nothing more than to have her closer, and then keep her close.

It's been difficult to pretend that I'm not still in love with her these past few months. And I have tried pretending.

But it just seemed like the more time went on, the more the feelings solidified and grew.

Part of me wants to admit it to her. To just rip it off and tell her and then deal with the aftermath of it later.

But the words are stuck on my tongue, like something's still holding me back.

Not like she probably doesn't already know just by me kissing her though.

For a short moment, we both just look at each other. My heart racing and my stomach flipping throughout it all. My eyes glancing towards her lips again. The feel of her lips still lingering on mine.

When I meet her eyes again, she wastes no time in leaning back into me, moving closer as she kisses me again.

It's deeper this time. Being filled with an array of emotions from both of us as she slowly—achingly slowly—makes out with me. Her lips moving with mine with almost a sense of gentleness.

As if if she were to move to fast, to urgently too soon, that it would scare me away.

But even though she's gentle in it, it still takes my breath away. It still becomes an effort to breathe as my throat goes all tight.

Evan breaks from my lips again, her hand reaching up to cup the side of my face. Gently rubbing my cheekbone with her thumb before her hand drops, landing on my thigh as she resumes kissing me—still with that gentleness.

Every part of me warms up with her hand on my thigh, the touch barely being anything and yet, at the same time, feeling so intimate. So intimate as Evan slowly moves her tongue along mine. Her tasting like the berries from the berry pie I let her have.

And then every part of me goes taut, grows even warmer as Evan slowly moves her hand up my thigh.

Not wanting her to have all the fun though, I place a hand on her thigh, making her jump a little. I smirk against her lips, enjoying as she shifts in her seat as I slowly trail my hand up her thigh too.