Chapter 18

~~~

Ashley's POV—

"Dang, it's cold outside," Carmen says as we rush into the cafe downtown.

"Right? I was not made for the cold," Sasha further says as she rubs her hands together, bringing them up to her mouth to blow hot air onto them. "Ok...what we eating?"

"I don't know about you guys, but I'm craving some peppermint hot chocolate right now," I say as I make quick work of heading to the counter, deciding my friend's are taking too long.

And I already know what I want.

"Hey, wait for me!" Sasha cries out. A glance over my shoulder and I see her rushing to catch up to me. Carmen and Izzy follow suit, but they're not in a rush like Sasha.

Looking over all the snack options the cafe has to offer, I pick a couple that I think sounds good to go with my hot chocolate.

"Ok. Move over, my turn," Sasha says as she nudges me aside once I place my order.

"Sasha, stop shoving people," Izzy says to her as she shoves Sasha, emphasizing her point as Sasha stumbles.

Which is what happened when Sasha nudged me out of the way.

"What? I didn't shove anyone—I didn't shove you, right?" Sasha says as she looks towards me.

"Maybe a little?" I tell her as I bring my hand up, and nearly pinch my fingers together to emphasize my point.

"Shoot, I'm sorry—sorry little niece or nephew," she says, speaking to my unborn child at the last bit.

I'm roughly 20 weeks along now. My stomach showing more now, making me not be able to fit most of my jeans and making most of my tops feel uncomfortably snug. So I've had to get some new clothes recently.

I've also been eating and craving food more.

And I've recently started feeling baby move around. Which is weird in itself. The fact that there's something growing in me is one thing.

Actually feeling its early movement is an entirely different thing.

Like flutters.

"I swear, Sasha's gonna be that one crazy aunt everyone has," Izzy comments, making me and Carmen laugh at Sasha's expense.

"No, I'm gonna be the fun one. You're gonna be the boring one. And Carmen's...I don't know what you're gonna be," Sasha says as she ponders on Carmen's role in all this.

"The latino one, duh," Carmen says, making it sound like it was the most obvious thing. "Imma teach this kid Spanish."

It doesn't take us much longer to finish ordering our drinks and food. Soon, we're sitting down at a booth, me wasting no time in digging into my food.

"Ok...I think I got everything I needed to get—what about you guys?" Carmen asks us as she looks over a list she made of everything she bought.

Christmas is a few days away. We were out doing some last minute shopping—mainly Carmen and Sasha.

Izzy and I were already done with our shopping. But we still got a couple of things.

We were at the mall, but then I started wanting food. And of course, I wanted nothing from the food court at the mall. I wanted to go to the cafe downtown.

So I dragged everyone here with me.

"I'm all good," Izzy says, me agreeing with her.

"I still don't have anything for my mom...not that I think she deserves anything for her discouraging attitude towards my cosmetology license," Sasha says with a sigh of frustration.