Chapter 24

Happy New Year Creampuffs!

Hope y'all had a good holiday season! You have any hopes for 2024? I do.

~~~

Ashley's POV—

"Shoot—I'm late," I say before I force myself out of bed.

Jaxon didn't have a good night last night. His favorite blanket that he likes to sleep with, the one Evan got him actually, was misplaced. And he usually always goes to sleep with it.

Suddenly not having it made it difficult for him to fall asleep.

So I stayed up trying to help him get to sleep. When he eventually dozed off, I snuck him back into bed.

Only for me to wake to him getting into his toys in his room. A temper tantrum later, and with me close to one because of how tired I was at 2 in the morning, I caved and just let him sleep with me.

And in the midst of all of it, I guess I forgot to set my alarm. Jaxon kicking me and wracking my face with his hand is what woke me up.

And while a fist to the face hurt a little 'cause he hit my nose, I'm glad he did. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have woken up for a while later.

"Jaxon, baby, wake up," I say as I softly rub Jaxon's back. He flinches as he wakes up, whining at his sleep's interruption. "Come on, time to start the day."

I usually have more time to get myself and Jaxon ready for the day. But it's already almost the time when I start work.

So everything is rushed.

I quickly help Jaxon get dressed, who protests and whines throughout it all. Being nothing but tired from his lack of sleep. And we're gonna be moody today it seems, I think to myself.

Though I'm sure I'd be just as moody too if I was in his place. Or if I could express just how tired I am right now.

Once Jaxon's dressed, I move us into the kitchen. While he's having breakfast, I try to do three things at once. Get my stuff together, get everything else Jaxon needs put together, and make me some coffee. By the time he's done, everything's done on my end.

So I make quick work of getting us out the door, the cold air meeting us as we step out of the house and into the cool November air.

Moments later, we get to Eden Media.

Getting to the elevator is rough though.

I had found Jaxon's blanket in the backseat of the car, thankfully. So I strap Jaxon into his stroller once I get it out and put the blanket over him. Making it easier for me to get us and all of our things from the car and into the building.

But it's not even Thanksgiving yet—it'll be here in a couple days—and the lobby at the company building is already in its early stages of Christmas decorating. Give it a few more days and it'll be all decorated before December even gets here.

So with the decorations already in the works, with bright and shiny trees and ornaments and some garlands and statues, Jaxon keeps trying to get out of the stroller, twisting and turning to look at and try to touch everything. And then whining when it doesn't work and we keep moving by.

Usually we have little problems in the morning. But since Jaxon had a rough night, and I did too by default, everything's not really going that great.

"We can look at the decorations later. K, Jax?" I try telling him once we're in the elevator. I bend over and continue to try to calm him down on the ride up. And try to fix his messy bed head hair and get him sitting properly in his seat.