Prologue: A Night To Remember

Check in >

𝚃𝚞𝚎𝚜𝚍𝚊𝚢, 𝙽𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 23𝚛𝚍 202211:23  pm

11:23  pm.

Neissa's face lit up with a smile as she heard the familiar, sweet voice of her grandmother echoing through the house. The sound blended with the lively strains of music playing in the background, a constant in their home. Today, it was an old Spanish favorite, Bésame Mucho, a song her abuela adored and always had playing during family gatherings.

Neissa adjusted the chains around her neck and grabbed the black ski mask she had "borrowed" from her best friend Jigga off her bed, slipping it into her back pocket. She dashed out of her room and hurried down the stairs, heading straight for the kitchen, where she knew her grandmother would be, most likely critiquing her mother's cooking.

"¡Abuela! I missed you so much, beautiful," Neissa exclaimed, rushing over to hug her grandmother. She wrapped her arms around her small frame and lifted her off the ground, spinning her around and making her grandmother yelp in surprise.

"Estoy vieja, pequeña, bájame antes de que rompas mi cuerpecito. (I'm old, little one, put me down before you break my little body.)," her grandmother scolded gently once Neissa set her back down. She shook her head and folded her arms, trying to look stern.

"Abuela, you're not even that old," Neissa said with a grin, glancing at her father, who was leaning against the cupboards, engrossed in his phone.

Rosa Bella, standing right beside her mother with her back turned, was busy cutting meat. She turned around, eyebrows raised just like her abuela's, both giving Neissa the same 'you've got to be kidding me' look.

Neissa chuckled and shook her head as her mother went back to her task. Just then, the music in the background shifted to another beloved classic, Perfidia. Her grandmother's eyes lit up, and she reached out to Neissa with a beaming smile.

"Ven, bailamos! (Come on, let's dance!)," she invited, already swaying to the rhythm.

Neissa didn't need to be asked twice. She took her grandmother's hand, and they began to dance in the kitchen. The space filled with the sound of their feet sliding across the tiles and their soft laughter mingling with the music. Her abuela led with graceful, practiced steps, moving effortlessly as if she had danced these steps a thousand times.

"¡Eso, abuela! Look at you go!" Neissa cheered, trying to keep up with her grandmother's smooth movements.

Her grandmother grinned, twirling Neissa around. "¡Eso, pequeña! You're getting good at this!"

Neissa laughed, feeling light and happy. "I learned from the best!"

They twirled and swayed to the beat, the music carrying them as if they were on air. Neissa's heart felt full as she danced with her abuela, their smiles growing with each step.