Chapter 2

The howling became louder as they rushed into the beavers house again. Peter didn't know what kinds of beasts were chasing them, but he didn't want to know.

"Hurry!" He shouted, as Mrs Beaver tried to pack a few things.

"Just let me grab a few things. It's a long journey and Beaver gets really cranky when he's hungry." Mrs Beaver said frantically.

Mr Beaver opened a door and ushered everyone inside when the wolves reached the house and started to tear it apart.

They were running through the tunnels as Lucy fell down, looking back at the same time. She quickly got up again as she shouted: "They're coming!"

"Run!!" Peter yelled.

They exited the tunnel, into the open. Peter and Mr Beaver immediately started to cover the entrance of the tunnel, hoping it would slow down the wolves.
After they did this as good as they could they turned around, and Mr Beaver froze.

"I'm sorry dear" Mrs Beaver said as she put her hand on his shoulder.
"He was my best friend" Mr Beaver said, looking down.
"What happened?" Peter asked.
"This is what happens to those who cross the Witch" a new voice said.

A fox stood on a ledge.

"You take one more step, traitor, and I'll chew you to splinters!" Mr Beaver yelled, taking a step forward!

"Relax, I'm one of the good guys" The fox said.

"Yeah, well, you look a lot like the bad ones" Mr Beaver shot back.

The fox sighed. "An unfortunate family resemblance. But we can argue breeding later. Right now we've got to move" He said as the howling grew louder.

Peter considered their options. He didn't know whether they could trust the fox, but then again, he didn't want to meet with the wolves either.

"What did you have in mind?" He asked the fox. The fox smiled mischievously.

————————————————

"Greetings, gents" The fox said as the wolves surrounded, snarling. "Lost something, have we?"

"Don't patronize me" their leader snarled "I know where your alliance lies. We're looking for some humans."

The fox laughed. "Humans, here in Narnia? You must be joking."

Peters hart was beating fast. He was praying the wolves wouldn't look up, and his siblings wouldn't make a sound.

The fox continued talking. "That's a bit of a valuable information don't you think?"

Suddenly one of the wolves leaped forward and bit the fox in his side. Peter quickly covered his little sisters mouth, as he knew she would make a sound.

The fox whimpered. "Your reward is your life" the leader said. "It's not much, but in your situation it's everything. I'm not going to ask it again. Where are the fugitives?"

"North, they ran north." Fox whimpered.

"Smell them out" their leader commanded as the wolf who was holding Fox threw him on the ground.

———————————-

"They were helping Tumnus. The Witch got here before I did" Fox explained as he groaned, clearly in pain.

"Are you alright?" Lucy asked, worrying.

"Well, I wish I could say their bark was worse than their bite. Ow!!!"

"Oh, stop squirming. You're worse than Beaver on bath day" Mrs Beaver chided.

"Worst day of the year" Mr Beaver muttered.

"Thank you for your kindness, but I'm afraid that's all the cure I have time for." Fox said, standing up.

"You're leaving?" Lucy asked.

"It's been a pleasure, my Queen, and an honour, but time is short and Aslan and the Guardian have personally asked me to gather more troops."

Gasps were heard from the beavers, and they started to bombard Fox with questions.

"You've seen them?"

"What are they like?"

Fox chuckled. "Like everything we've ever heard. You'll be glad to have them at your side in the battle against the Witch."

"We're not planning to fight" Susan interrupted him.

"But surely, king Peter, the prophecy!" Fox said.

"We can't go to war without you!" Mr Beaver exclaimed.

Peter sighed. He knew they couldn't fight. He had to protect his siblings. He already failed once, he didn't want to fail again, and maybe even losing a sibling for good. If that would happen, he could never forgive himself.

"We just want our brother back" He told the animals.

—————————————————-

Peter gazed at the stars as he leaned against a tree. Everyone else was fast asleep, but he couldn't sleep. He barely processed everything that happened today. Apparently, they were Kings and Queens now. Peter didn't want to be king. He hated to stand in the spotlight. He had already tried to be the lead his siblings, which obviously hadn't worked out well. Edmund was captured, and Susan was blaming him for it. He did felt responsible for it. As all those thoughts circled around in his head, he slowly fell asleep.