Chapter 3

"Now, the camp is near the Stone Table - just across the frozen river." Mr Beaver announced.

"River?" Susan asked.

"Oh, the river's been frozen solid for a hundred years" Mrs Beaver said.

"It's so far" Peter sighed.

"It's the world dear, did you expect it to be small?" Mrs Beaver said.

"Smaller" Susan said, clearly annoyed as she started walking.

————————————————————

Peters legs felt like lead. The beaver were still walking like they had tons of energy, but Peter didn't feel it. He started to get tired, real tired.

"Come on, humans! While were still young!" Mr Beaver said

Peter grunted. "If he tells us to hurry up one more time, I'm gonna turn him into a big fluffy hat" He muttered. Even though he was tired, he could see Lucy was even more tired. He dropped a little bit, so Lucy could climb on his back, which she immediately did, leaning tiredly against his shoulder.

Suddenly Mr Beaver started yelling. "Hurry! Hurry up, come on!"

"He's getting a little bossy" Susan stated.

"No! Behind you! It's her!" Mr Beaver yelled urgently.

Peter looked behind him, seeing a sled approaching fast. He set Lucy down and took her hand as they started running. "Hurry" he yelled.

They made it into the forest. Mr Beaver ushered them into a ledge, out of sight. Peters hart bonked in his chest. Had the Witch found them?

"Maybe she's gone" Lucy said quietly, shaking a bit.

"I'll go and take a look." Peter said.

"No! You're nothing worth dead to Narnia" Mr Beaver snapped. "I'm going."

"Well, neither are you, Beaver" Mrs Beaver butted in.

"Thanks dear" Said Mr Beaver as he walked cautiously out of their hiding place.

Everyone waiting, tense. Peter decided if Mr Beaver wasn't back in a minute, he would go and look himself. Suddenly Mr Beavers head popped up from about, making Peter jump a little. "Come out, come out! He said, grinning.

Peter got out, where he couldn't believe what he saw. Santa was standing in front of them, a big smile on his face.

Lucy got the biggest smile ever on her face, as she ran towards him. "Merry Christmas sir!"

"It certainly is, Lucy, since you've arrived" Santa replied.

Apparently Susan has as much trouble believing what she saw as Peter.

"Look, I've put up with a lot since I got here, but this" She began, but was cut of by Peter.

"We thought you were the Witch" He said, scowling.

"Yes yes, I'm sorry about that. In my defence, I've been driving one of these longer than the Witch" Santa sighed.

"I thought there was no Christmas in Narnia" Susan remarked.

"Not for a long time, but the hope that you have brought, Your Majesties, is finally starting to weaken the Witch's power. Still I dare say you could do with these" He said, as he took a bag out of his sled.

"Presents!!" Lucy exclaimed excitedly.

Santa took a bottle out the bag, filled with a strange liquid, and held it out to Lucy. "This is the juice of the fire-flower, from the land of Aslan. One drop will cure any injury." Lucy took the bottle. "And though I hope you never have to use it.." He trailed off before handing her a dagger.