Chapter 19

Laura peeked around the corner. She managed to get out of the How unnoticed. Now she was at the stables, which was bustling with Narnians preparing for battle. She hated she couldn't turn invisible anymore, which meant she had to sneak around now. She softly whistled, hoping Nightshade would hear her. Suddenly she felt breath in her neck, and she quickly spun around, summoning a dagger from her bracelet. But just as she was about to strike she saw who it was, immediately letting the dagger disappear again.

"Hey girl" she whispered, stroking the black horse's head. "You scared me for a moment"

Nightshade nickered. You were the one who called me.

Laura rolled her eyes. "Come one, smarty pants, let's get out of here before someone sees us"

Laura could swear the horse rolled her eyes before she turned around to let Laura mount. Laura stifled a laugh as she mounted. Sometimes Nightshade could have an enormous attitude. But that was what Laura loved about her horse. She was as fierce as Laura herself. This was also how they immediately had bonded when they first met. They understood each other. And as they quietly rode into the forest, Laura recalled the memory.

Laura couldn't sleep. So much had happened today. She thought her life would finally end, only for her to end up in a place called Narnia. There was this talking lion who had told her she was the new guardian, who had supposedly powers to protect Narnia. That she was the chosen one, and very powerful. At the moment, she was still in Aslan's -the lion- land, but after she had completed her basic training she would go to the real Narnia to carry out her duty. People would look up to her, rely on her for protection. But Laura didn't want this. Just this morning, she had made peace with dying, and now she was supposed to be a savior. She didn't feel powerful or brave, and she certainly didn't feel heroic.

She decided sleeping wouldn't be an option now, so she slipped out of bed and quietly got dressed. Then she sneaked outside, along the shadows so no one would see her. Laura had had a lot of practice with it, when she had to sneak around when she still lived with her horrible uncle. She got out of the little village unseen, and headed for the hills she had spotted earlier. She suspected she could see the stars perfectly from up there. She walked through the forest, which was eerily silent. Laura was only wearing a shirt, but luckily it wasn't cold. Soon enough, she arrived at the spot, happy she didn't get lost.

She got down on her knees, and started crying. Everything was so overwhelming. She had wanted to die, yet she didn't. 

Suddenly, she heard something in the bushes. She turned around, holding her breath. Aslan hadn't said anything about wild beasts living in the forest, but maybe he had assumed she would just do as she was told and not enter the forest.

It was quiet. Laura released the breath she was holding. Suddenly, a dark figure sprung from the bushes, lunging at her. Before Laura could think, her body reacted. She quickly rolled to the side, dodging the attack of the beast, immediately standing up again. She didn't know how she had done it, but she probably couldn't do it again. So she threw up her hands, yelling "Stop!"

Somehow, it worked. The creature stopped, and just looked at her. In the dim moonlight, Laura could make out the features of the creature. It was a gorgeous black horse, with long mane and beautiful wings.

"You're so gorgeous" Laura whispered.

The horse nickered. Of course I am, you think I don't know that? Foolish human.

Laura had to do a double take. Did the horse just talk?

"Di- did you just talk?" Laura stuttered.