Chapter 17

Peter rode into the clearing, the How looming accusingly before him. The army was behind him. They had a few wounded soldiers and a couple of deaths, but thanks to Laura most of them had made it back. Except for Laura of course. Peter pushed his tears back. He had already enough cried when they were riding back. Peter was glad it had been dark then. Now he had to put on a brave face to face the crowd, like Laura had thought him. Oh god. Laura. For the whole ride back he had tried not to think about her, but his mind had other plans. He wanted to believe she had survived, that she was still alive. But he knew better. He had seen those arrows rain down on her. Not even Laura could've survived that. She was dead, and it was his fault. She had warned him not to go, and he went anyways. Then, she had saved him, all of them. He didn't even notice the tears that were streaming his face this time until Edmund told him.

He looked ahead again as he quickly wiped his tears away. They had almost arrived at the How, and he could see the Narnians waiting for them, their faces hopeful. His sisters were at the front.

Expectantly, they looked at Peter. But Peter wouldn't meet their gazes. He couldn't. Yet he forced himself to look at them after he had dismounted his horse. Immediately their faces dropped.

"What happened?" Lucy asked. She noticed the prisoners among the group. "Where's Laura?"

"Ask him" Peter replied, motioning towards Caspian who was standing beside him.

"Me? You could've called it off. There was still time." Caspian sneered, anger evident on his face.

Peter started to get angry as well. How dare he accuse him off that. It was him who didn't kept to the plan and messed up.

"No, there wasn't, thanks to you. You were the one who didn't kept to the plan!" Peter retorted.

"If you'd just stayed here, like Laura suggested, she might actually be alive right now!" Caspian sneered.

"Do not dare to talk about Laura. You have no right to talk about her." Peter growled, his hand on the hilt of his sword now.

"No, it's you who has no right to talk about her!" Caspian shouted. "Do you have any idea how much you've hurt her?! It's your fault she died!"

Peter yelled and pulled out his sword, as Caspian did the same.

"STOP IT" Edmund yelled, and both boys looked at him. Everyone else was looking to the sky now. Peter followed their gazed, confused. Then his heart dropped.

A horse came flying towards them. Nightshade. Something was hanging from her back, but Peter couldn't see what. And as she landed, Peter wanted to cry and scream. A body was draped over her back. Laura's body. The crowd parted respectfully and took some distance as Peter ran towards Nightshade, the others following suit. Nightshade dropped to her knees, letting Lauras body gently slide of her back. Peter dropped to his knees next to her. This couldn't be happening.

Dozens of arrows were sticking out of her body, and her body was one bloody mess. Her eyes were open, glazed over and lifeless. He could hear his siblings gasping behind him.

He turned to Lucy. "Lucy, give me the vial." He said urgently.

"Peter" Edmund said. "we're too late."

"Just give me the vial!" Peter shouted desperately. Lucy untied the vial from her belt and gave it to Peter. He didn't even notice his little sister crying. His hands were shaking as he removed the cap, and gently filled her mouth with the liquid. There was a deadly silence as they waited. Peter held his breath. Slowly, the blood disappeared and the arrows turned to dust. It felt like the whole world was holding it's breath. They waited. Nothing happened. Those beautiful ice blue eyes kept staring lifelessly into the sky.