Chapter 20

Laura flew with Nightshade through the night, a flock of Pegasi following. She had brought them to bring the Narnian prisoners she was about to save, to safety. She was wearing a dark cloak, with her black armour underneath.

They neared the castle. "Alright, stay in the air. Wait for my signal, then swoop down to take the Narnians, alright?" Laura instructed the Pegasi. The horses whined in agreement. Laura stroked Nightshades neck. "You ready?"

Yeah Nightshade answered. Be careful. Love you

"Love you too" Laura answered, before sliding of Nightshades back into the lions den. She felt the wind sting her face as she turned so her legs were facing down to land. She used the winds to slow herself down, and gracefully landed with a soft thud. Stealthily, she crept through the corridors. She knew where to go, as she had been here before, the first time they had attacked the castle.

Peeking around a corner, she saw two guards guarding the cells. They looked bored, and were talking in hushed tones. Laura scanned the other corridors. No one was there. Perfect.

She walked around the corridors, not bothering to stealth anymore. She had to eliminate those guards anyways. The only thing she had to make sure of was that they would alarm other guards. She walked straight up to the guards, and they noticed her, immediately unsheathing their swords.

"Hey! You can't be here!" One of the guards yelled as they started to walk towards her.

"Oops" Laura responded before running towards them while summoning a dagger from her bracelet. She ducked, avoiding the first guards attack while stabbing the second one in a kink in the armour just under the knee. The guards dropped down clutching his knee, and Laura spun to meet the second guards blade. Then she used the hilt of her dagger to knock the guard out cold. She turned around again, this time barely managing to avoid the sword of the guard that had stood up again. You're becoming sloppier and weaker, Laura. She chided herself. She kicked the guard in his stomach, causing him to double over. Then she used the hilt of her dagger again to knock this guard out as well. She had promised herself she wouldn't kill anyone except when it was absolutely necessary. She would come and leave without anybody seeing it.

She crouched next to the guard, and took the keys from his belt. Then she stepped over the guards towards the cells. She had to hurry.

She quickly opened the cells containing Narnians. Laura hadn't even realised how many it were. These were the Narnians that had refused to live in the forest so Laura could protect them, and were captured when the Telmarines had found them. But Laura had thought most of them were already dead. Apparently Miraz liked to keep his prisoners alive to torture them. It appeared the Telmarines were even more cruel than Laura had thought. Rage started burning inside her. She would kill them all. But for now she had to get the prisoners to safety. The Narnians slowly started to come out of their cells as they realised who she was. Laura stopped at the last cell. This one didn't hold a Narnian, but a rather old man. This was Caspians teacher. The old man looked at her.

"I'm Laura, a friend of Caspian. Will you come with us?" She asked the old man. The man walked forward as Laura opened the door of the cell.

"Is Caspian here too?" He asked

"Yeah" Laura responded. "But he's going to kill Miraz. He won't come here"

"Does he know you're here?" He asked

Laura began to become impatient. She was in a rush. "No, he doesn't" She responded.

"Then he will come for me. I must stay here, otherwise he will be foolishly enough to look for me somewhere else" The man responded, a calm look on his face.