Chapter 18

Guys! I'm so so sorry for not updating! But between my exam week (yay!) and my growing depression (double yay!) I just couldn't find the time to write. I actually thought this would be the last chapter of the book, but I didn't want to let you guys even wait for a longer time, so I've split the chapters. Anyway, enough rambling. Let's gooo. 

Laura ran through the corridors of the How, tears pricking at the corners of her eyes. She couldn't believe Peter. For 1300 years, she had waited for him. Desperately hoping he would come back. Now he was finally back, and he acted like a total dick. She finally reached the roof. It was a place she would always come when she needed to be alone. From up here, you could look across the fields, the war camp and even the forest. Yet it was well hidden, which ment no one who would look from below could see her. Which ment she could break down and cry her eyes out all she wanted. It also reminded her of the cliff she would always go to during the first war with her mother.

As soon as Laura arrived at her spot, she crashed to the ground and broke down sobbing. She couldn't believe how Peter had acted. It was as she didn't knew him anymore, as if he was a completely different person. She knew she wasn't innocent either, but she went through way more than him. For 1300 years, she had carried the burden of a job that was meant for four people, not one. Except for Nightshade, she had no one. She had been all alone, trying to protect the Narnians from the Telmarines. Then Caspian had shown up, afraid of his murderous uncle. She had accepted him, even taught him how to fight better. They had talked a lot of times, and he really seemed to understand her. He had supported her, and helped her as much as he could with leading the Narnians. She was really grateful for Caspian for the past two weeks, but it wasn't Peter. Peter had known her the best. With him, she had always felt unstoppable. But apparently he didn't feel the same anymore.

She took a deep breath. Get yourself together, Laura. She told herself. She gazed at the beautiful landscape before her. The sun was already setting.

Suddenly she heard a sound behind her. She quickly got into a crouching position while summoning a knife from her bracelet, stretching out her leg and using it to swipe the intruders legs from underneath them. The person fell to the ground with a thud, and as fast as lightning Laura moved on top of them, knife at their throat. Then she saw who it was.

"I surrender" Caspian said, a small smile playing at his lips.

"Caspian" Laura breathed out. "You shouldn't creep up on me like that"

"I apologize for not walking like an elephant" Caspian commented. "But could you please get that knife of my throat?"

Laura sighed and got up again while dismissing her knife. She held out a hand for Caspian, which he gratefully accepted. And while she pulled Caspian up, Laura had a painful memory of her and Peter in a similar situation, all those centuries ago. She quickly locked the memory away again, not wanting to break down a second time.

Caspian, who had seen the expression on her face, pulled her in for a hug. They stood there for a while, Laura crying silently in his shirt, before he let go again. He didn't say anything, but just walked with her to the spot they always sat. Laura loved this about him. He never pressured her into talking or anything.

She sat down again, this time with Caspian at her side. She could've known it was him, he was the only one apart from her who knew of this place. She had shown him this a couple of days after he had arrived. It had felt strange at first, because it used to be Peter whom she did this with. But she had been in desperate need to talk to someone, and strangely she had trusted the Telmarine prince right away. She'd sensed he would understand her in some sort of way, with all the pressure that was upon him. After that day, they had come to this place for almost every night, gazing at the stars and talking about everything. Laura soon began to see him like a brother, a feeling she knew he returned. They never watched the sun rise though. Laura just couldn't bring herself to that. It had been hers and Peters favorite thing to do.

She realized she was lost in thoughts again as Caspian placed his hand over hers. "How are you feeling" He asked softly. Laura looked at him. She gave him a sad smile, hoping it would speak for her. Judging by the look on Caspians face, he knew enough. He frowned, looking forward again.

"You know, from all the stories of him I've heard from you, I didn't expect him to be like this." He said after a while.

Laura sighed. "He didn't use to be like this. Well, apart from the stubbornness, that is. But he used to be sassy, cheeky, and not serious at all. He could always make me laugh, even in my darkest moments. I honestly don't know what happened to him" She looked down, a tear escaping her eye again. Then she looked at Caspian.

"He's going to do it, isn't he?" She asked the prince quietly.

Caspian nodded, guilt clear in his eyes. "He's told everyone you dropped your position of Queen. Then he started to give everyone orders to prepare. We're going tonight."

Laura knew it would happen. Peter may have changed, but he was still as stubborn as hell.

"Promise you won't go" Caspian asked.

Laura arched her eyebrows in confusion. "Why?"

"Because I know you, Laura. You'll watch us from a distance. When it goes wrong, you'll swoop in and safe everyone"

"Don't worry, I'm not. Peter needs to realize what he's doing" Laura told him "He expects me to just come in and safe the day like always if it goes wrong. He can't just rely on me to fix his mistakes."

Caspian nodded. "I agree with you. Yet I don't believe you when you say you won't come. You care more about the Narnians than anyone else. But you can't, okay? You'll die if you use your powers, you know that."

Laura sighed. "I won't, okay? I promise."

Caspian exhaled. "Good"

"Promise me you'll come back" She asked him.

"I will" He whispered. They were both silent, watching the peaceful sunset.

And as she was sitting there with Caspian, Laura realized Caspian was right. The more she thought about it, the more she was sure about it. She already knew if she wouldn't do anything, no one would come back alive. So she made her decision. She knew what to do.

I know, I know, it's a short chapter. But as I said at the beginning of this chapter, I didn't want to let you guys wait even longer. I will try to write the next chapter as fast as possible! As always, please vote and comment to let me know what you thought of this chapter! 

Love y'all!

-xxx-

Dirt_Face