Chapter 11

Laura rode Nightshade through the forest. Even though summer had come back, it was still cold at night. But it didn't bother Laura. It never had.

Her heart was beating fast, but she wasn't scared. It was because of what just had happened, with Peter. She felt a pang of pain in her heart when thinking about him. She thought it would be easy to run away, but she hadn't accounted for this. If he only knew she could never come back.

She didn't know where to go. All she knew was that she had get away from everyone, and everything. She now understood everything. She couldn't control most of her powers, because that's what her mother had wanted. To train an assassin, but to keep her in check. Only the minimum of her powers could she control, to survive. But she could never kill her mother. Yet her powers would play up every time she experienced strong emotions, especially anger. Had her mother foreseen that? Did her mother knew that would happen once she would get older?

Nightshade neighed, pulling Laura out of her thoughts. Laura realized they had been on their way for quite some time already. They were in a part of the forest Laura didn't know quite well. She knew if she would continue now, she was bound to get lost. So she decided she would continue in the morning, and get some sleep now.

"Let's camp here for the rest of the night" She told Nightshade.

She dismounted her horse, deciding it was the best if they stayed between the trees, were they would be more covered. She made a small open space between the bushes, enough for her and Nightshade. She sat against a tree, while Nightshade lay down and rested her head on the girls lap.

It wasn't long before Nightshade fell asleep. The journey had been quite exhausting for her. Laura gently stroked the horses mane. She loved the horse dearly. She gazed up at the stars through the trees. They were beautiful tonight. And with Nightshades soft breaths, Laura slowly fell asleep as well.

The nightmare started right when Laura fell asleep.

She was in the forest, but a different place. She recognized it, it was near the Stone Table and the camp. She was wearing her armor. She heard chanting somewhere to her left. Not knowing where else to go, she walked towards the noise.

As she got closer, she began to see torches. It was the Witch, and her followers. She couldn't see why they were chanting, so she decided to move closer. She was standing at the edge of the forest now. She walked forward, to decide whether this was real or a dream. She walked between the animals, but no one saw her. She walked to the front, and didn't believe what she saw. Aslan was tied up, his mane were shaved and he was lying on the stone table in front of the Witch.

Laura couldn't move. Jadis whispered something in Aslans ear, before facing the crowd again.

"Tonight" She shouted "The Deep Magic will be appeased! But tomorrow, we will take Narnia, forever! The Great Lion will be dead, and the so-called Guardian won't be able to defeat me!" The crowd erupted in cheers.

Laura looked at the lion. He seemed to look her straight in the eye, like he knew she was there. Laura wanted to do something, but she couldn't move. She wanted to shout, but no sound was coming out of her mouth. Aslan looked at her with love, and trust, as if he still believed in Laura. Tears started to form in Lauras eyes.

"In that knowledge" The Witch continued, looking down at the Great lion. "Despair... and die!"

The White Witch brought her knife down, stabbing it straight into the lions heart.

Laura screamed, but no sound came out. She watched helplessly as the life left the lion eyes, and the crowd began to cheer.

Laura woke up with a start, waking Nightshade in the process. The horse stood up as Laura started to sob uncontrollably. She kept telling herself it wasn't real, yet her heart didn't believe it. Nightshade nuzzled her head in the girl lap, and Laura held her close.

After a while, Nightshade pulled away, and looked at the girl expectantly. Laura knew she had to check whether it was true or not. She got up and brushed her tears away. The sky was purple, it was dawn.

The girl looked at her horse. "Let's see whether it's true or not." She mounted Nightshade, and set off towards the stone table.

--------------------------------------

Lauras heart became heavier as they neared the stone table. The air was different, the trees quiet. Something had happened.

The Stone Table came into view, and her heart burst into a million pieces. Two figures were hugging a lion, an unmoving one.

"No, no, no, no, please be alive." She half said, half sobbed.

Laura quickly dismounted Nightshade, and ran towards the Stone Table. Tears were streaming down her cheeks. The figures looked up as Laura climbed the Stone Table. They were the Pevensie siblings. Susan started to say something, but Laura didn't care. She shook the lions body, trying to wake him up.

"No, no, no, no, NO!!" Laura sobbed. "Please, Aslan, be alive!!!"

But the lion didn't move. It was true. It had happened. The White Witch had killed the Great Lion.

Laura screamed. It was a scream of sorrow, and pain. The ground started to shake. He had believed in her. He had tried to guide her, to protect her. He was always there when she needed him. And now, when he had needed her the most, she wasn't there. She had failed him. And now Aslan was dead.

Laura started to sob uncontrollably for the second time that night. She felt someone hugging her.

"It wasn't your fault" Susan murmured in her ear, apparently knowing what was going on inside the girl's head. "The White Witch killed him, not you."

Suddenly a rage took over Laura. Susan was right. The Witch had done this.

"I'm going to kill her!" Laura murmured "I'm going to kill them all."

She pushed Susan off her, grabbed her arms and looked her straight into the eyes.

"Promise me" She whispered to the other girl. "Promise me to stay here, and guard his body with you life."

Susan nodded.

Laura stood up, and started to walk towards Nightshade.

Susan stood up, Lucy still on the ground next to Aslan, as Laura mounted Nightshade. And as she rode into the forest again, she made an oath to Aslan.

She would revenge him, and kill them all.