Chapter 8

The rest of the day passed in a happy blur for Izuku. As the other matches commenced, he found himself making a multitude of mental notes about both his fellow students and the various strategies they were using. Never before had he been able to analyze a fight in so much detail. The brief distant glimpses he'd gotten watching Pros and Villains fight in the streets paled in comparison to the ultra-detailed view he got from UA's advanced surveillance cameras. He could see every punch, every Quirk use, every moment of each fight from multiple angles, giving himself ample time and opportunity to work out how his classmates Quirks operated.

It was over almost too soon. Katsuki and Ochako had picked up a rather easy victory, Katsuki being such a loud and effective distraction running through the halls that Sato and Koda never noticed Ochako simply float herself up the outside of the building. She flew right in through the window and over their heads while they tried to keep Katsuki away from the bomb, neither noticing her until All Might was calling the match. After that, the rest of the matches passed relatively quickly, each one giving more and more material to fill Izuku's next notebook.

Still, for all the excitement he felt, the results of Izuku's own match was never far from his mind. His failure to use One For All to its true extent ate at him. Despite Ochako's reassuring words and Katsuki's agitated grumbling, he couldn't stop trying to figure out what had gone wrong. What he needed to do differently.

It was those thoughts that plagued him even as he was walking out of the school at the end of the day, trailing behind Katsuki and Ochako as they chatted about their match. Well, Ochako chatted. Katsuki mostly just alternated between grunting in agreement and snorting in amusement.

Izuku only paid them the barest amount of attention, his head bowed in thought as they weaved through the crowded front entrance. He managed to return Momo's wave goodbye as they parted ways, but went back to his dejected musings almost immediately. He pictured in his head when he'd punched Todoroki's ice wall, that sickening feeling when his blow was stopped cold.

I know I used One For All correctly. The feeling was exactly like it was that day at the beach. But... my punch wasn't even close to what it should have been. He sighed, clenching his hand into a fist. It's the metal. It has to be. There was nothing else different between those two punches. And Moku... A small smile spread over his face at the thought of the Fusion, before he schooled his expression. She couldn't bring out One For All's full power either. She was a lot stronger then I was... but how much of that was One For All and how much was just her increased power as a Fusion? Maybe the material matters? One For All can power up diamonds better than metal? But, why would it...

"Greetings, Young Midoriya!"

"GAH!" Izuku jumped a foot as All Might's voice boomed from right beside him. Katsuki and Ochako spun around in surprise, finding the Number One Hero standing right next to him, his giant form still garbed in his silver-age suit.

The Massive Hero blinked at Izuku. "My apologies. Did I startle you?"

Izuku took a deep breath, trying to slow his racing heart. He smiled shakily up at his mentor. "Just a little," he admitted timidly. "Do you need something, sir?"

All Might put his hands on his hips, grinning down at the boy. "As a matter of fact, I do, my boy. You put on a great show today in your battle trial. However, I couldn't help but notice that there were... certain aspects of your fighting that you had trouble with."

Izuku's face fell in an instant. "Y-Yeah. I'm sorry-"

All Might cut him off by raising his hand. "Worry not, my boy, for that's what brings me to you at this moment. If you would be willing, I'd like you, along with Young Bakugo and Uraraka, to come with me so we can work on controlling those aspects of your Quirk."