Forty One

Rejected.

That was the word that kept bouncing around in Patrick's head. Because despite all of Pete's reasons, no matter how logical they may have seemed, he still rejected Patrick.

And that was a new experience for Patrick. Of course he'd experienced rejection before. With his paintings or when Andy would leave. But he'd never thrown himself at someone just to be shot down. It was embarrassing.

Now he and Pete were sitting in the dark on his bed. Pete was lying on his back, staring at the ceiling. Patick was lying on his side, staring at Pete.

Pete suddenly turned on his side to face Patrick. His head in his hand and his elbow digging into the mattress. Patrick's eyes snapped to the thorn necklace tattoo.

"Why don't you sing for me?"

"What?"

"Sing for me." He said again. "There's no way I'm going to get any sleep tonight. And I'm not in the mood for the piano. So, can you sing for me?"

"I don't sing."

His teeth gleamed. "Try that with someone who hasn't heard your amazing voice."

Patrick hoped Pete couldn't see his blush. "Its not amazing."

"Everything you do is amazing, Patrick."

Pete said the words with so much conviction that Patrick felt like they had to be true. He usually hated singing in front of anyone who wasn't Brendon. Because Brendon would sing along so he didn't feel so alone.

But he wanted to sing now if Pete wanted him to.

"I-I can't think of a song."

"Song one of your poems-"

"Pete. No-"

"Please, Patrick." He ran his free hand through Patrick's hair. "You're such a good writer."

"I don't have my book."

"You haven't memorized any?"

"I-um, yes. But I can't just sing. You were playing the piano last time-"

"Sing to the rhythm in your head."

"Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?"

He chucked. "Yeah."

Patrick took a deep breath. God, he was going to sound like such an idiot. But he was positive Pete wouldn't laugh at him.

"One more shot and I'm quitting forever.
Cross my heart. Cross my fingers."

He sung the first part and winced. Giggling slightly at himself.

"You sound perfect."

Perfect. Just like Meagan. Pete thought he was perfect too. Patrick's confidence boosted a little.

"I woke up this morning.
The room was spinning.
I don't remember what I did last night.
Beg the ceiling for forgiveness
Cause I don't wanna remember what I did last night.
When I was drunk I might have said some things I didn't mean.
There's nothing wrong with you.
It's something wrong with me."

He closed his eyes the way he did in the shower. Feeling a little more comfortable with his voice.

"I'm running dry from now on.
How come no one believes me?
Step one, drink.
Step two, make mistakes.
Step three pretend you don't remember
Step four, drink a little more.
Step five, I need to run dry."

Patrick began humming the beat he'd been singing to in his head. Pete listened for a few seconds before catching onto the beat and humming along with him.

"My livers killing me. But willingly.
I'm going to tell whoever ask that I feel alright.
I beg the ceiling for forgiveness
Cause I don't wanna remember what I did last night.
When I was drunk I might have said some things I didn't mean.
There's nothing wrong with you.
It's something wrong with me."

Pete continued humming. Patrick sung softly over him. With not as much emotion as he did his first poem. But without lacking conviction in the lyrics eithe

Patrick's brow furrowed and his voice went up a pitch.

"I get drunk a little too much for it to be healthy.
No one wants to tell me.
Whisky? I'm trying to cut back.
Wine? I'm trying to cut back."

The tone of Patrick's singing changed. The soft words were gone. And the soul was creeping into his voice.

"They say 'everything in moderation'.
But I'll drink you under the table.
I-I-I I'm not just drunk.
I really think I'm in love with you baby."

His voice took on a more playful vibe.

"Okay I really am just drunk."

Pete couldn't hold back his laughter at those final words. His humming was cut short by the chuckles escaping.

"That's brilliant!"

Patrick opened his eyes and stared into Pete's face. He didn't look like he was making fun of him. He looked genuinely happy as he laughed. Patrick found himself smiling in return.

He loved seeing Pete smile. He loved seeing Pete laughing. He loved seeing Pete happy. He just loved seeing Pete. Especially when he was damn near naked on Patrick's bed. Patrick loved Pete's body. He loves Pete's tattoos.

He loved Pete! Period.

"I really think I'm in love with you." Patrick held his breath after saying the words again.

"That was my favorite part." Pete smiled.

"I'm not talking about the song." Patrick swallowed. "I'm in love with you, Pete."