High School is Harsh

"Hey mate, what was all that about?" Jake asked curiously. His eyes were glued to the door Mingyue just walked out of.

Kangdae and Haneul looked at each other, they didn't want to say that it wasn't anything to worry about, because it was; but it wasn't something that they could share either.

"Sorry that was insensitive..."

"No worries," Kangdae smiled towards his friend, "Anyways, can we join you Haneul?"

"You want to watch Harry Potter?"

"Is that such a shock?"

"Yes. You literally hate speaking English."

"Mingyue!" Haneul jumped out of her brother's car.

This caught the attention of Enhypen. They had become very aware of their new friend and his family– and everyone else for that fact. The whole school was now invested in the group of three because Enhypen was invested in them.

The group of seven might be handsome, popular, and kind, but they usually stayed within the group. It was like everyone was acquaintances rather than friends.

"Mingyue! Over here," Haneul called again, she was walking with Sunoo. The sunshine boy was lighting up the ground at which he walked on. Some girls smiled at him, returning his up-beat energy.

"Hello Mingyue, I don't think I've formally introduced myself, I'm Kim Sunoo."

The three of them hung out in homeroom until their first class started. Mingyue didn't expect to have so much in common with the boy, but here they are, bonding over mint chocolate chip ice cream.

"Over my dead body. The best flavor is obviously cookie dough, no one can say otherwise." Haneul argued.

"What are you three talking about?" Ayame asked.

Ayame was one of the most popular girls. She was stunning, the perfect beauty standard for women. This girl was the it girl; she had the friends, the visuals, the grades; she was the epitome of perfection.

"Nothing much, just ice cream– what's your favorite kind?" Haneul asked.

"Uh, I don't eat ice cream. It's really unhealthy and it's fattening."

Sunoo's face went from a smile to a frown once she said it. Ayame is Ni-ki's sister, so that makes them friends in a way, but her unusual behavior was very off putting.

The insensitive comment ruined the atmosphere, Ayame of all people should know not to do that– expecially to Sunoo. It was Ayame that he had turned to with his insecurities last year, he confided in her about everything that weighed him down and she found a way to cheer him up again, but it felt like it was being recked down again.

"I would rather be fat and happy then," Mingyue joked, trying to lighten the mood. Ayame's face contorted to one of disgust as she looked Mingyue up and down.

"I'm sure you would."

Lunch time was upon them and the three went to the cafeteria. Sunoo went to sit with Enhypen while Mingyue and Haneul went to sit in their usual place.

"Here," Haneul handed Mingyue her lunch, "Take it, I'm sure that this weekend was rough."

"It wasn't too bad, you should eat."

Mingyue would never admit to this, but Ayame's comment really did get to her. If she wasn't self-conscious before talking with Ayame, she certainly was now.

"What if we split it? Or I can buy you another lunch?"

"Haneul, I'm fine, really. Sit down and eat," Mingyue smiled towards her friend.

"Hey guys," Kangdae plops down next to Haneul. "We were wondering if you wanted to sit at our table?"

Haneul and Mingyue take a glance at their table to find all of them looking. The girls then looked right back at each other. "We're good for today, but thanks Kangdae." Haneul said before she resumed eating.

It was shocking that there were people that didn't want to sit with Enhypen, everyone loved them. But these two girls were more stubborn; for Haneul, they were friends with Kangdae... immediate red flag in her books, Mingyue just wasn't a fan of bigger crowds.

"How did you do it? You two are basically outcasts, yet Enhypen somehow found interest?" A girl asks, she was very snarky about it.

"I don't know, but you better stay away from Heeseung. He is my boyfriend after all."

Once the two girls walked away, Mingyue turned to her best friend, "who is that?"

"That's Min Jangmi and her 'friend' Jung Jina. Everyone knows that Jina liked Heeseung, but Jangmi is the one that got him. Jina would defiantly switch lives with Jangmi in an instant if she got the chance."

"You guys didn't join me for lunch." Sunoo pouted. "Tomorrow you won't have a choice but to sit with us."

"Aish, I guess~" Haneul sighs jokingly.

"Tonight we are going to the ice rink, do you guys want to come?"

"On a school night?"

"Sorry Sunoo, I can't... strict mother."

"Ah, I see. We'll plan something on the weekend for you to join us. What about you Haneul?"

"Yeah sure, why not?"

When school ended, Mingyue went straight home. She made no pit-stops along the way. Instead her pace was kept at a fast rate, it was almost a jog.

"Is that Kangdae's friend?" Sunghoon pointed out at the running girl. Heeseung was currently driving Sunghoon to the rink so he could get in her professional practice before free-skate with the group.

"It looks like it."

"Should we ask if she wants a ride? She seems in a rush."

"I'll drop you off first and then see if she needs a ride, alright?"

Sunghoon nodded, satisfied with his friend's answer. After Heeseung and Jangmi started dating, he's become less like himself. He used to be this really chivalrous guy, but now he was merely a walking corpse. Jangmi sucked the life out of him like a vampire would with blood.

Heeseung did keep to his word, right after he dropped Sunghoon off he went to see if she was still running. He saw how she ran with a small limp, how her knees had faint cuts on them... he saw her beauty shine through her pain.

"Mingyue, right?" Heeseung asked, pulling over, "Would you like a ride? You seemed to be in a rush."