Frozen Heart

Two years had slowly passed, Mingyue had barely kept contact with any of her friends. Haneul was to be getting married soon and Kangdae had already gotten married.

Although for Kangdae's marriage, the group of friends had gotten together, Mingyue had barely uttered a word. For two years now, she had barely spoken.

Mrs. Kang hadn't seen the girl that had isolated herself. No one knew what happened with Mingyue, but they didn't know that she was not the same person as before.

She no longer smiled, she didn't even try to fake it any longer. She was as cold as her heart.

Over the course of those two years, she had grown prettier if that was even possible, it was a shame that she blocked everyone out so no one could see her beauty. Her amber eyes that were once warm, were frozen over by hatred.

"Your Highness, you have a visitor." Ms. Byun bowed.

"Tell them I'm busy."

"Yes, Your Highness."

Ms. Byun returned to the hall, there stood Haneul, Heeseung, Kangdae and Aki. The others were out doing their own thing. Ms. Byun shook her head, she was not able to get through to Mingyue anymore.

Heeseung sighed, he had hoped that she had finally warmed her heart to the world again, but his hopes were quickly crushed.

Haneul looked like she was about to cry. She was getting married in a few days and her sister didn't even bother to give her the time of day. Haneul never found out what happened– for that fact, none of the kids knew what happened to make Mingyue act so cold.

"It's okay Haneul, you have us." Aki said, giving her a side hug.

"She hasn't spoken more than five consecutive words to us for two years," Haneul's voice cracked, "do you think she will even be there for my wedding?"

"She will. One of us will get through to her." Heeseung said, patting the girl on the shoulder.

Night fell and Heeseung was making tea in the kitchen. His mind was racing with thoughts that he couldn't even ignore them to go to sleep. As the jasmine tea was seeping, the doors creaked open.

In walked Mingyue, even in the dark, she was still beautiful in Heeseung's eyes. Both of the lonely souls couldn't sleep that night. Maybe it was fate that wanted to bring them together again.

"Sorry I didn't know you were down here." Her voice was monotone.

"Please don't leave. I don't want to be alone right now." Heeseung requested. It was true, he was being put into an arranged marriage with a girl whom he had no feeling towards, nor could he pretend he did.

Mingyue couldn't find it in herself to turn away from him. The reason she avoided Haneul, Kangdae, Heeseung, and the rest of them was because she was scared that she would break right before their eyes.

She stood there awkwardly. It's been so long since she's been around people that she cared for, that she forgot how to act in front of them. It seemed weird going back to how it was, but it was even weirder pretending as if she didn't care in the first place.

"How have you been?" Heeseung broke the silence.

"Alright, I suppose. And you?"

"A little less than alright..."

"Do you want to talk about it?" The truth was he did, but it was like a stranger asking him if he wanted to talk about his stresses of marriage. Even she could see that he was uncomfortable her question, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it to be personal."

"It's alright... I guess it's just odd. You shut us out for a couple years and here we are in the kitchen..."

Mingyue looked down, the candle lights captured her guilt. The first layer of ice was already broken– just one little conversation was enough to start thawing her frozen heart.

"Will you be at Haneul's wedding?"

"Yes, I came down here to make her a cake."

"Would you like help?"

"If you want to, I will not oblige you to it."

Heeseung chuckled, even with her monotone voice. His thoughts not only consumed his arraigned marriage, but what could have been his future. Without meaning to, he had grown accustomed to the girl even though he had merely known her for a month.

That night, the two of them baked and decorated the cake.

"Do you want tea?"

Mingyue nodded, with a small smile. A look that was foreign on her face now. Heeseung made the tea to perfection.

"It's even better than I remember," Mingyue compliments.

"Mingyue, can I ask you something?"

"You just did Heeseung," She pointed out.

"Aish you know what I meant."

"Yes, go on now," She giggled.

"What happened two years ago?"

Her smile slowly faded at the question, "I was scared, I honestly don't remember what happened. My mother and I had an argument and she locked me outside... it was storming– lightning and thunder. I know that it scared me, there was no where for me to go. I was running around, trying to find shelter but there was nothing relatively near me. Someone found me the next day, I had passed out, my heart was very faint. They thought that I slipped and hit my head and the rain also weakened my immune system. I know it doesn't seem like a reason to block everyone out, but if that's what my mother would do to me, what's stopping others from doing that too?"

"Can I give you a hug?"

Mingyue nodded, she didn't realize how much she needed the hug until then. Her silent cries were comforted by Heeseung rubbing her back while she was still in his embrace. "Thank you, Heeseung. I really need that."

"Tomorrow, will you..." He started to ask, but he dragged on not knowing if he should continue.

"I won't ice you out, if that's what you're asking, and I know that I shouldn't do that to the others as well."

"I will be right by your side, if you want me there."

"I would like that."