eighteen💚

( 2 years ago )

Soyeon woke up to a drop of water splashing on her face. She wiped it off and sat up, gazing up at the cardboard above her that was starting to mold. Without having to be told, she deftly stood on her bed, reached up, and removed it, shocked to find much more water crashing down on her. She took a deep, shivering breath, setting the soiled cardboard down to throw away later, reaching for the new ones that had come from dinner a few days ago.

She tore a few pizza boxes in half, setting it evenly atop the spiky wooden planks, careful so that they wouldn't tip over. Smelling food, Soyeon ducked under the towel that was held up as the wall of her room, and came into the main room. Seeing nothing but a small roach scurrying across the floor, she came to realize that it was the pizza boxes. Oh, that's going to be annoying, she thought with a small, defeated noise.

Soyeon watched to make sure the roach had made its way out, knowing that her mother was terrified of big bugs like that. She stretched, making sure her hands didn't hit the roof as she did so.

"Good morning my precious bean," Soyeon's father snuggled her, having just woken up.

"Good morning," Soyeon murmured, wrapping her arms around him too.

"Do you know what day it is?"

"No?"

Her dad caressed her cheek. "You're nineteen today!"

Soyeon's eyes sparkled. "What, really? That means I can drink?"

"Yes!" He smiled, reaching into his torn pant's pocket for something. He pulled out a 50,000 won bill, causing Soyeon's eyes to widen. She's never seen one of these in real life. He gave it to her, saying, "today we'll all go to the store and get an expensive wine to try."

This is the best birthday present ever!!

( present day )

Minnie's breath heaved as she let Miyeon go past her into the room that they had finally gotten open.

"Shit."

Minnie raised her head in concern when she heard the curse spill from Miyeon's lips. She rushed to the bedside, where Soyeon was lying. The younger girl's body spasmed, her mouth open in a silent cry.

"What do we do??" Miyeon cried, panicking at the sight.

Minnie reached forward, trying to shake Soyeon awake. "Soyeon!" She called, shaking the younger by her sweaty shoulders.

Soyeon's eyes flickered open, and she quickly sat up, flinching away from Minnie. "What? What?? Where am I??"

( in the morning )

Shuhua felt soft arms hug her middle as she scrambled the eggs. Her whole body flushed with warmth as the other girl snuggled into her body. "Morning, Soojin," she murmurs, concentrating on breakfast.

"When will it be ready?"

"In time for you to go to work, don't worry," she smiles, the smile not quite reaching her eyes. She didn't even thank me.. all she thinks about is work and Soyeon. Have I really fallen for her? Mayb—

"Thank you for making breakfast," Soojin says, kissing her neck tenderly. Shuhua's worries melt away with that, relaxing while Soojin pulled away from her to sit at the table and she finished cooking.

Yuqi entered the kitchen, grabbing a piece of toast from the plate on the table before yelling, "Thanks, Shuhua!" and dashing out the door.

"Where's she...?"

"To see Soyeon," Soojin guessed, waiting until Shuhua sat down next to her before digging into the eggs, toast, and sausage hungrily.

( in the middle of the night )

"You're in me and Miyeon's apartment," Minnie explained, taking a step back from Soyeon as it seemed like she didn't want to be touched right now.

"Why? Where's Yuqi? Why didn't she sleep with me?" Soyeon keeps looking worriedly around her, as if someone is going to jump at her at any moment.

Miyeon pursed her lips, signaling for Minnie to answer. Minnie fiddled with her fingers. "Uh, right, um.. you were just.. having a sleepover with us!"

Soyeon stared at the blankets around her, giving a simple nod.

"We heard—"

Minnie shook her head at Miyeon, and the older fell silent. Then she spoke again, "Do you want some water?" She didn't mention that Soyeon looked as if she hadn't eaten or drank anything in days.

She shook her head. "I-I'm fine."

Miyeon led Minnie out of the room, concern etched all over her face. "She didn't eat last night, did she?"

Minnie bit the inside of her cheek, remembering the full plate she'd had to throw in the garbage last night. "No, she didn't."

"Should we call Soojin? Or Tzuyu?"

"Everyone's probably sleeping though.."

"Right," Miyeon sighed.

"Maybe.. maybe we could just ask her what she wants to do? We're awake anyways."

Miyeon nods, heading slowly back into the room. Soyeon was up, looking in the closet and desk drawers and under the bed. Minnie and Miyeon gave each other a look that decided that they wouldn't ask what she was looking for. "Hey," Minnie said quietly.

Soyeon jumps and turns around to face them, her eyes blown wide and scared. "W-what?"

"What do you want to do now?"

"Can you turn the light on?" She asks, though it was more of a cute whine than a question, and Miyeon couldn't help but giggle. Minnie nodded, reaching for the light switch. They all squinted a bit, unused to how the room was suddenly bright.

Soyeon took one last look around the room before she went up to Minnie and made herself smaller, cuddling close. Minnie, confused, just let it happen as she gave Miyeon a 'what's going on??' face.

Soyeon tapped Minnie in the stomach. "You're supposed to.." she pulled away, standing up straight, "nevermind." She walked out of the guest room and into the small apartment's kitchen. The place was smaller than Soojin's, and it made Soyeon feel very safe. Except for that room. She felt a shiver run down her spine. No, she wouldn't go back in that room ever again.

She hopped onto the counter, watching her feet swing up and down. Up and down, up and down, up and down. She sighed contentedly, relaxing at the familiar rhythm and how she could predict everything that could happen next.

What she couldn't predict though, was her feet suddenly hitting something small. And that something small letting out a noise that had Soyeon letting out a scared yelp.

"What happened?" Minnie ran into the kitchen skidding to a rocky halt so as not to crash into the table, Miyeon trailing behind her.

"There's a rat!"

Miyeon scooped up a fluffy tuxedo kitten. "My poor boy, you're not a rat..." she cooed, soothing the spooked animal with a few pets on its head.

Soyeon felt like someone was sitting on her chest as she watched Minnie and Miyeon make sure that the cat was okay. She could feel herself start to hyperventilate again. She tried to stop it, she tried. Why don't they care that I was scared too? And why didn't Minnie hug me?

She frowned, pushing herself off of the counter and slipping out of the apartment without them even noticing.