Part 27 - Uninvited Guests

As he led her out of the office and to the other side of the atrium, he admitted sheepishly.

"By the way, I barely had an influence on decoration and and lighting. The children planned most of it on their own. I only asked for the song to be played. They also created the 'ballroom' we're about to go into now. There will also be some food, so I think they have rearranged the furniture a bit."

Nathalie sniffled through her nose.

"You've all done such an amazing job in such a short amount of time. I'll have to thank them all later on. But now I can't wait to see you dance. Because whenever I've been on an event where you were supposed to do so, you lied your way out of it. So either you just don't like dancing or you don't like the public display while you're doing it."

Gabriel held her hand a little tighter.

"I simply didn't want to cause any rumours to start because of an innocent dance. All the women who asked me to dance with them were doing it just for that. For the attention, the rumours, the quick and short lived fame. And if I had danced with you, well... It would have become very fast, very obvious how I felt and that would have placed you in the spotlight. And in the center of all rumours and attacks. But today I am going to make it up to you for each time I wound out of it!"

The pregnant woman smiled. 

"That's very sweet. I hope it will be some slow dance and not something with many turns and sudden movements. My stomach is still a bit shaken."

"I'll make sure of that, darling. Something simple and slow, like a waltz?"

Nathalie nodded. 

"That would be great."

They entered the room and both began to beam widely. Not only had Adrien and Marinette separated a whole area for dancing, by placing a self-made banister around it, woven together with satin bands which were fixed to a frame they had formed from aluminum wire and wooden posts. On the top of those were flower pots with paper flowers, as real ones would have been too heavy for the structure. 

The tables in the other half of the room were similarly decorated and on each were not only dishes but also wine glasses and bottles with obviously non-alcoholic champagne. The smell that came from the kitchen was already making the pregnant woman hungry and her stomach started to growl. 

"Hungry? I certainly hope so. Because there won't just be a very delicious dinner but also cake afterwards. I thought that would be a rather good replacement for dessert, considering that your stomach still needs some time to recover. But now, Mrs Agreste, would you please grant me this dance?" Gabriel said sweetly.

"I will gladly do so, Mr Agreste.  And yes, we are both hungry. The baby has been very active all day. It's funny how often I can now feel it, when I had no idea what it was before the doctor told me. But I love it and it's so incredibly wonderful that I can eventually be sure, he or she is okay. And now that we're married, nobody can try to take our child from us. I love you so much. If only I had never left and it was our child. I know, you don't like it when I say things like that. But it's once more just because it would have kept us both from so much stress and anger. But just now, he won't be able to even find anyone who would dare to doubt that you're the baby's father."

She laid her left hand into his right as she spoke and her right onto his shoulder, while Gabriel placed his left on the small of her back and closed his right around her left. Like this they looked deep into each other's eyes then Gabriel leaned in and placed a soft kiss on his new wife's lips. While they were still kissing, the music began to play. 

(We're going all Notting Hill! Play the song on top!)

"This is the song I wanted for the two of us my love!" Gabriel said when 'When you say nothing at all' by Ronan Keating started to play.