Part 30 - Betrayal

Nathalie was about to give in and talk to him normally when she felt Gabriel pull her towards him and hold her tight, protectively placing himself in between them, as he he sneered.

"Nice try! Where's the camera or the microphone? This is mine and Nathalie's child and has nothing to do with you. And if I ever again catch you near my wife, attempting to trick her into anything by abusing her kind and friendly nature, I'll send my son's bodyguard after you are we clear?"

He made a threatening step towards the artist who instantaneously backed away.

"Fine, don't bother about me. But don't come running if he doesn't want you and 'your' child any longer!" Jerome spat and turned around to leave.

"Wait!" Nathalie called out, and he did, looking at her expectantly. The pregnant woman looked into his eyes for some time, then shook her head. "Gabriel was right. You are only here to betray me in some way. Leave me and don't come back here, or we'll have you arrested, Jerome."

The man scoffed and turned around without being stopped this time, then left with large, angry steps.

"Are you okay?" Asked Gabriel with concern when he, after following her former boyfriend with his eyes until he had walked around a corner, looked at her again and saw her holding her belly with a grimace.

Nathalie took a couple of very deep breaths before she responded.

"I'm not sure. I just felt a strong pain, and that scared me a little bit. It wasn't like the usual every day contractions I'm supposed to feel."

His expression got even more serious than it already had been.

"Would you rather get back inside and lay down? Or at least sit down?" He asked anxiously.

Nodding the almost as much scared female agreed.

"Yeah, that's most likely better. I... crap!" She cringed and grabbed her stomach with both hands now. Gabriel quickly laid his arm around her waist and helped her back onto the premises, then up the stairs and into the mansion, sitting her down in one of the armchairs instantly.

"Thank you!" She whispered weakly, her eyes shut, yet her breathing even and calm.

"Is there anything I can do? Do you want something to drink? Or maybe I should call an ambulance? It's rather early, and I don't want to take any risks." He wondered while kneeling down at her side.

Nathalie opened her eyes and gave him a loving look.

"I'm okay for now, darling. Let's just wait here for some time. Maybe it was just this once."

"Twice!" He interjected.

"Fine, twice. Maybe it was just this twice and will stop again. I wouldn't want to keep us from our lunch date. Hey, don't look so scared, Gabriel. I am more than thirty-four weeks along. It's okay if I'll have her soon. I really wouldn't mind at all. I am so sick of being incapable of almost everything." She soothed him.

The designer sighed deeply, then nodded.

"I know that you're right, love. I am still worried and scared. There are so many things that could go wrong. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you, when I should be the one, encouraging you." He gushed out with excitement.

That made the woman laugh despite her own agitated state.

"Come here and give me a kiss. It's incredibly sweet how much you care and try to do for me. Right now, I really would like to go upstairs with you and... ouch, damn it, I thought it stopped!" She had tried to sound seductive and was about to suggest for them to try and have some sort of sexual interaction when the pain was back, even stronger than before.

"Okay, that's it. I am taking you to the hospital right now. It's all his fault. Why couldn't he just leave us alone? If anything happens to you or the baby, I will hurt him with my own hands." Gabriel now almost yelled.

Nathalie held out her hand and shook her head.

"Everything will be fine, darling, I promise. I agree to the hospital though. I really think those are real contractions. They feel a lot stronger and very different than the braxton-hicks. But let's please be happy and not scared, okay?" She pleaded and he instantly felt bad.

"Of course, love. I am sorry for being so, well you know. Let me just make a few calls, so your doctor will be there in time and they can already prepare a room for you. And I will let Adrien know, so he can come there once he gets out of school." Gabriel gushed out, while he stepped quickly back and forth.

With a laugh Nathalie called out to him.

"Can you please stop being all nervous and running around like a headless chicken?"

He froze at the very spot he was at and stared at her, again about to apologise, when his wife said calmly.

"You're doing all the right things, Gabriel. Just try and relax. I don't want you to have a heart attack or something. Now go and make your calls, I am fine for now!"

With a sigh he bent down and kissed her tenderly.

"I am sorry, love. I'll try to calm down a bit. Who would have thought that this despicable man's last attempt for a betrayal would lead to one of the luckiest moments in our life, my love?" Gabriel whispered softly before he pulled away.

Nathalie smiled at him.

"I want you to remember that last statement until everything is over. And then you can call this arse and tell it to him directly!" She said with a very mean undertone. Then her smile faded and she muttered. "I just hope, she won't look like him!"

He quickly pulled her into his embrace and responded with.

"I am very certain, that our daughter will be just as pretty as you, Nathalie. And now stop worrying over things we can't change anyway and just be happy to soon meet our daughter!"