58

Deva

Her eyes, they are glistening with unshed tears of happiness as I bring the mangalyam (nuptial chain) towards her neck. I've never been so happy in my life. I don't think the term happiness would be enough to explain the ecstatic feeling I'm undergoing at the moment.

Our families and cousins surrounded us, looking at us with great affection and emotions that ran deeper than what one could grasp through their exterior.

Smiling softly at my Thamara, I start to lock the nuptial chain around her neck, yet again. The one I had tied previously has been removed and kept safely in the pooja room in order to not stir problems on our official marriage day.

I wink at Thamara and she smiles between her tears. I shake my head slightly and she understands my request to refrain from crying. While my hands work on the golden nuptial chain's hook, the garland on her neck with other jewels is cleared out by my mother and aunts. And flower petals graze us continuously, rendering the moment feel more divine. Once I fastened the mangalyam, a great sense of euphoria and responsibility fell upon me.

The conventional marriage tune is being played by the artists louder now and I withdraw my hands from her neck with a contented look on my face.

Forthwith, the Iyer (Pandit) asks me to apply vermilion on Thamara's partition and I pinch the vermilion between my ring finger and thumb, then as directed by the Iyer, I circled my hand through the back of her head and reach her hair partition.

In this position, Thamara leans closer to me and our temples touch each other as I apply the vermilion on her partition, claiming her as mine.

After that, I applied some vermilion on the mangalyam that rests atop her chest. Thamara is smiling in delight while I raise my head to meet her face.

Post a few rituals, Thamara was made to set her foot on the grinding stone and I slid the toe ring on her second finger. Then we took blessings from our parents, during which, Thamara's parents and my dad blessed us with happy tears in their eyes while my mom seemed equally pleased but she didn't gaze at me while blessing us.

I hoped she would forgive me on this day but I understood that I've hurt her immensely that she cannot even bring herself to look at me.

"Pesuvaanga mama, kavalapadatheenga (She will speak mama, don't be stressed)" Thamara says as we were made to sit on the stage again to complete the further rituals. I nod at her, wishing her words would come true soon.

Through the next few hours, the mandap was altered and a couch was pulled in place of it where me and my Thamara had been seated. Firstly, we were made to sign our marriage registration document and then followed by was the various performances done by our cousins and other kids...

We were entertained by the performance but as soon as it was over, we were made to stand on the stage to click pictures with our uncountable number of relatives.

Many offered money while some presented us with gifts and it was late noon when we were somehow escorted to have lunch.

The cameraman as usual stalked behind us and asked us to feed each other. We did so to print the moment in our marriage album forever. Thamara was a bit shy and I fed her a few times before letting her feel comfortable in public.

Henceforth, another set of rituals proceeded and we were finally shifted to our home. We were welcomed in by my mom who took aarti with her eyes only fixed on Thamara. She smiled at her and even pinched her cheeks while totally ignoring me...

Though it hurt, I was jovial that she treated my Thamara with affection. Once we were in our home, Thamara was made to light up the lamp in the pooja room. I loved seeing that scenario. She belongs to me and this is her home now.

Done with it, we were moved to the lounge and were given a glass of milk and a banana that we were made to share with each other. Thamara was being uncharacteristically timid today and I'm relishing every bit of it!

Afterward, we were scooped away by the camera men for a marriage photoshoot. I'm otherwise excited for this but the poses they were urging us to give while we were out was way too inappropriate.

And he had the nerve to ask us to kiss each other on the lips. Thamara's eyes almost popped out of eye sockets while mine glared at the man.

"It's fine...then," he awkwardly utters and we return to the photoshoot with more pleasant poses. Our intimacy is a very private and special thing that we would like to exhibit within closed doors or when there aren't people around.

When the photoshoot reached an end, it was already evening and my Thamara was extremely exhausted. But we had the reception in a few minutes and hence, we had no other option other than to freshen up and dress up for the event.

Thamara is cloaked in a light blue lehenga with shimmering stone works. It suited her perfectly and her face was painted with minimal makeup that rendered her a fresh look.

The reception was busier than I expected as our friends and relatives rushed with tons of gifts. Amidst that, the cameramen were repeatedly asking us to pose for pictures and we couldn't even sit on the couch for more than three minutes.

"My legs ache," Thamara mutters to me as we finally recline back on the couch. "A few more hours ma, bear it..." I say to her gently while she sighs with a mere shake of her head.

"Mama...this light blue shirt looks attractive on you. You are so handsome!" I smile at her compliment and reply cockily. "I know," instantly, Thamara's face draws a frown and I laugh at her annoyed face.

"Neenga thirunthavae maateenga mama," (You will never change mama) she clicks her tongue and looks forward. "Why would I? Did you by chance thought I would change my demeanor after marriage?" I tease her, loving the irritation floating on her facial features.

"Unfortunately, yes. But I'm not disappointed. I like this childish side of you and I find your boasting cute although it infuriated me initially," My eyes glimmer at her statement.

"I'm touched Thamara," I keep my hand on my chest and Thamara smiles cheekily at me.

________________________

Chap 59 has also been updated ♥️