Chapter 7

Dil ko Bachala,

Dhoka na khana

Dhoka hain pyar, yaar pyar hain dhoka...

Her mesmerising voice boomed in the silent evening of Western Ghat.

It was the first day of their office camps in Matheran. The staff have checked in Hotel Green View.

Urna was under extreme stress for this event. As she was told by Nandita, the full school staff goes for this yearly trip and they really look forward to this 4 days trip. This time it was Urna's responsibility to arrange this trip. Thankfully the place has been suggested by Nandita. The elder lady found her overstressed to make this trip a perfect one and helped her by suggesting a few tips.

The team started from the school at 8am. At first everyone was at their best behaviour as they thought the Head of School would be travelling with them. But when she entered the bus and asked the driver to start, Bhairav couldn't stop himself from asking about HOS. Urna smiled and replied- "Maam will come by her car. She didn't want you to miss any of your enjoyment."

Bhairav blewed a flying kiss towards Urna saying, "Love you darling, where were you so long? How did we survive without you?"

Nandita said from the front seat- "You survived with me darling. See Urna, I arranged this picnic for the last 4 years and now they are behaving as if they were living on peanuts". She faked some tears, but Urna was too naive to understand. As she tried to console the lady, everybody else bursted into laughter. They all were very much well versed with Nandita's acting skill.

Urna settled down in the last but one seat window, put her ear-pods and looked out of the window, enjoying some of her relaxing play mix.

Suddenly Urna felt the seat beside her dip and somebody sat beside her. Thinking it to be some teacher, she turned towards the person smiling.

"Hello, miss me?" Said Krishna, smiling at her. He had trimmed his beard a bit and had the after-shave. Urna found the smell choking her. She turned her face to get some fresh air from the window.

Krishna got his message that Urna doesn't want to converse with him. He looked towards her for some time. Suddenly Urna turned her head and looked straight into Krishna's eyes.

"What?", asked Krishna.

"Your eyes are red". said Urna, kicking herself mentally for saying this.

"I have had eye allergies for the last 2 years. Whenever the dust affects it turns red and watery. I am under medication."

Urna's heart clenched upon hearing this but she kept her facade on and turned her face away. Krishna didn't expect this reaction, but he kept it to himself.

The four hours of journey turned into five and half hours. The staff wanted to have a short breakfast which actually took 60 mins and then a tyre of the bus got punctured. It took 40 mins to change and get on the track. Suddenly the bus started taking its speed and Nandita shouted from her place. "Bhairav let the driver drive, I want to reach the spot in a healthy body". Bhairav smiled away at the option and said- "Don't worry ma'am, I can drive you to heaven faster". With a lot of cheer Bhairav continued to drive the bus.

The team reached Matheran by 1pm. After getting down the bus Bhairav came to Urna, flaunting his driving. When everyone was thanking God for being without scratches, Urna hugged Bhairav for reaching the spot faster.

Krishna was flinching his eye on seeing this. Bhairav sensed the irritation and fist bumped Krishna, saying that, "See friend, only a true gem can understand the value of the other".

Rudra, the dance teacher, was standing with Malhar. He eyed Bhairav and said, "Wao Bhairav, you are so down to earth".

Bhairav laughed back and said, "See Urna, and they say, Krishna is more sarcastic".

Urna loved this small banter but she went forward to complete the formalities. Once the formalities were done, the staff were settled in their respective rooms and Urna cleared that they had some time to rest. Lunch will be served in the dining hall at 1:30pm.

It was by the evening, when the hotel manager had arranged a bonfire, in the honour of the guests. Everybody was sitting by the side of the fire with kebabs on their plate to enjoy. Rounds of alcohol were also arranged, but people were to behave appropriately as HOS herself was enjoying along with them.

Malhar came up with the idea of antakshari, but the twist was, points will be given only if one sings the full song. With lots of boo's the idea took its track. Urna was sitting along with Vidhi Thakur and Nandita. Upon their insistence she's taken a peg of rum and diluted with water and ice.

Alcohol, food, fire, music, the evening was at its fullest. It took time before it was Urna's turn. HOS was sitting before Urna in the queue and hence when it was her turn to sing a song, everybody thought she would deflect it. To everyone' astonishment, Vidhi looked at Urna and started singing an English song.

Urna smiled knowing everyone's reaction. All thought that HOS would not be a part of this fun, but Urna knew elsewise. Vidhi used to sing in her early days and Urna did convince her before coming, that if such an opportunity comes, this time she has to sing. Vidhi, also loved Urna due to her sweet nature and hard working capacity and hence she took this opportunity to make her happy.

It was now Urna's turn to sing with "d" and she chose this song.

Urna was noticing faces along with her song. And she was happy to get some known reactions. After finishing her song, she excused herself from HOS and others and started walking towards the woods. The alcohol was playing with her emotions. She needs some time to be alone.....

_____________________________________________________________________________