Chapter 27

Madhu woke up Urna at 3am in the morning. Urna wanted to sleep a little more, but Madhu sprinkled some water on her face, and also reminded her that it's her marriage day today. Urna shot up from the bed. Yesterday after Krishna helped with her clothes, he told her that the ceremony will start at sharp 6am, so she has to reach the mandap by at least 4pm. She will get ready there. Madhu and her friends will be taking care of her. Bhairav was supposed to be monitoring the whole event for her side.

She sat on the bed zoned out and clueless untill Madhu came and dragged her out and send her to take bath and clean her up.

The mandap was all decorated with different flowers, making it smell like heaven. Or is it really heaven, Urna thought. She was taken to the girls room to start with her make up.

"Didi, where are the others? Asked Urna.

"They will come, Urna, we came early because you will need time to get ready.", said Madhu.

She led her towards the bed and the dressing table area where the both were covered with garments, jewelleries and makeup products.

As soon as Urna saw the saree, her eyes lit up. "Didi this saree?"

"Yes dear. Chettan told me, it's your mom's saree. And you value it very much. It was so beautiful, so we thought of draping it to you today. It's a Banarasi saree, right"

"I don't know Didi, I don't have knowledge about the fabric, but yes, it does hold a special place in my heart."

"Ok, let's start now. If we get late, my brother will get too impatient and he will break in here." Madhu said laughing.

It took approx 2 hrs and it was almost 5:30am by the time they finished draping up the new bride and doing her makeup. Urna appeared in all her glory in her white and red heavily embroidered saree, with a vail on her head. The embroideries were shimmering with every step she took. The heavy gold and diamond jewelleries which she wore was a gift from Krishna's parents.

As soon as she stepped outside towards the dias, everybody looked at her in awe. She looked like a fallen star from the court of Gods. A diamond nose ring with a golden chain tucked into her beautifully knotted hair was looking like the morning sun was lightening her face up.

Urna lifted her eyes to look for Krishna and instantly lowered them to feel his heated glare. He was looking stunning in his maroon kurta and white with golden embroidered dhoti. His beard was neatly trimmed giving her an itchy hand to run her hand through them.

Soon the ceremony started. Urna sat near the ritual fire with Krishna holding her hand. It was like a bliss, a dream coming true... The priests chanted the mantras which chimed like melodies in Urna's ears. She raised her eyes and looked towards the audience. She found Krishna's family, now her family too, waiting there for her. She found Bhairav, sitting beside her doing all the rituals as her brother.

Urna patted her eyelashes to stop the tears.

As if Krishna sensed her feelings, he squished her palm a little to ensure her. She looked up in his eyes and found them dripping with love and other uncensored emotions.

Soon the time came when they stood up to take the seven rounds of the holy fire to swear their promise to love and cherish and stand by each other as they said, until forever.

The rituals were finished by approx 2pm in the afternoon. As the couple rose up to take the blessings of the others, Urna found herself in tears of joy. In marriage as she heard of, the girl is given to the groom. It resounded as if she was stripped of whatever was hers and forced to adopt everything which belongs to the man. But in her marriage she found everything of her own, her husband, her family, her life and her happiness. She tried to touch the feet of her father in law and mother in law but both of them hugged her saying that women don't touch the feet.

As Urna was literally exhausted and famished, Madhu took her to the house, this time to the original house in Krishna's room.

The room was a big one situated on the first floor. The windows present were not doing any misery in letting the light and wind pass in and out of the room. The balcony followed by, was giving a view to the nearby lake and fields.

She changed into a comfortable yet fashionable saree and sat down on the balcony enjoying the wind. As she was lost in the time and the scene, somebody hugged her from behind. She turned her eyes and found Krishna changed into a comfortable kurta set.

He kissed the crook of her neck and turned her towards him. Urna looked into his eyes, pooled with many unsaid emotions. She tried to run her hands through his cheeks feeling his soft trimmed beards under her palm but he objected silently.

As Urna looked up, Krishna said- "Amma is calling you down for food, it's a tradition that you and I will eat together our first meal as husband and wife, feeding each other. If you touch me now, I will break down. Please Jaan.. "

Urna smiled at his honest expression and said, "I am famished, shall we go down, Mr.Art HOD?"

"Sure Ma'am," Krishna chuckled as he took her down..